Re: [XP] revive xp at my company

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 1, 2007
      eliga_repoleved wrote:
      > I agree I will not bring up xp at all. But there are some problems
      > that can be easily solved by following some of the practices.
      >
      > The team has a problem getting pulled on and off projects --
      > priorities shift, from one project to the next, causing delayed
      > release of all projects. Scope is not decreased to make a date. It
      > is not visible to the team, what gets traded out, when work is
      > re-prioitized. All of the goes away if the planning game, and story
      > cards, and the story board are put in to use.

      Oh, I agree completely. I'm just suggesting you avoid saying, "let's go
      back to XP". Instead, next somebody complains about a missed date, just
      say, "I think we were better at hitting our dates when we kept closer
      track of the work. Could we try going back to that?"

      William
    • Ian Collins
      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 7, 2007
        Ron Jeffries wrote:

        >Hello, William. On Wednesday, February 7, 2007, at 8:59:11 AM, you
        >wrote:
        >

        >>If an interviewee doesn't engage in a conversation but
        >>pontificates, I'd point out explicitly that I'm looking for a
        >>directed chat and not a showoff lecture. If they fail to understand
        >>what I mean at that point (and long after explicit prefatory
        >>remarks), I have a really important piece of information about their
        >>understanding of what we do and how we do it.
        >>

        >Yes. However, I'd say that the "you at the whiteboard and me and my
        >staff behind this big table" sets the situation up particularly
        >badly. "All of us around this table," with whiteboard available ...
        >and perhaps even some suitable gesturing where we all get up if the
        >interviewee gets up to go to the whiteboard ... seems to me to be
        >more likely to elicit what one wants.

        That sums the issue up very well, sometimes asking someone to get up and
        use a white board is like the old fissioned stick the interviewee on the
        opposite side of the table to the interviewers situation.

        Some of the best pairs I have worked with have been strong introverts
        who would clam up if asked to stand up, unprepared, at a whiteboard.
        The first thing I try a gauge at an interview is whether the candidate
        is an introvert or an extrovert and tailor the process accordingly.

        Ian