Re: [XP] revive xp at my company

  • eliga_repoleved
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 1, 2007
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, William Pietri
      <william@...> wrote:

      > eliga_repoleved wrote:
      > > I currently work at a company that has a history of using xp. As
      > > people in the company have come and gone, the full use of xp has
      > > diminished.
      > >
      > > So I am looking for advice on how to begin to revive all of the xp
      > > practices.
      > >

      > Why bring it up XP at all?
      >
      > I'd just find something people are unhappy about, and then see if you
      > all can fix it. Whether or not a particular practice is by-the-book XP
      > or borrowed from elsewhere is beside the point. Instead, I'd worry
      about
      > whether it solves your problem, and whether it does so in a way that
      > matches your highest values.
      >
      > As somebody (Ron? Kent?) said, XP is the starting point, not the finish
      > line.
      >
      > William

      I agree I will not bring up xp at all. But there are some problems
      that can be easily solved by following some of the practices.

      The team has a problem getting pulled on and off projects --
      priorities shift, from one project to the next, causing delayed
      release of all projects. Scope is not decreased to make a date. It
      is not visible to the team, what gets traded out, when work is
      re-prioitized. All of the goes away if the planning game, and story
      cards, and the story board are put in to use.
    • Ian Collins
      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 7, 2007
        Ron Jeffries wrote:

        >Hello, William. On Wednesday, February 7, 2007, at 8:59:11 AM, you
        >wrote:
        >

        >>If an interviewee doesn't engage in a conversation but
        >>pontificates, I'd point out explicitly that I'm looking for a
        >>directed chat and not a showoff lecture. If they fail to understand
        >>what I mean at that point (and long after explicit prefatory
        >>remarks), I have a really important piece of information about their
        >>understanding of what we do and how we do it.
        >>

        >Yes. However, I'd say that the "you at the whiteboard and me and my
        >staff behind this big table" sets the situation up particularly
        >badly. "All of us around this table," with whiteboard available ...
        >and perhaps even some suitable gesturing where we all get up if the
        >interviewee gets up to go to the whiteboard ... seems to me to be
        >more likely to elicit what one wants.

        That sums the issue up very well, sometimes asking someone to get up and
        use a white board is like the old fissioned stick the interviewee on the
        opposite side of the table to the interviewers situation.

        Some of the best pairs I have worked with have been strong introverts
        who would clam up if asked to stand up, unprepared, at a whiteboard.
        The first thing I try a gauge at an interview is whether the candidate
        is an introvert or an extrovert and tailor the process accordingly.

        Ian