Re: [XP] Productivity Metrics

  • dnicolet99
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
      Looks like Sal's question was also posted on the Scrum Development
      board, and got some replies there.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Slava Imeshev"

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
        Hello, Nam. On Thursday, February 1, 2007, at 8:11:36 AM, you
        wrote:

        > The Productivity Index = 100%. That is, you productivity is normal or as
        > expected. The Progress Metric (not demonstrated here) would be over 100%
        > since you are ahead of schedule (planned verses actual), but productivity
        > wise, you are par for the course.

        This appears to be a measure of estimation accuracy, not of
        productivity.

        Speak the affirmative; emphasize your choice
        by utterly ignoring all that you reject. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
      • Barry_J_mgh
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
          > I am creating new metric - the productivity metric. This metric is an
          > aggregated metric from SPI and CPI. This metric is an indicator to
          > compliment the traditional Progress Metric which is simply planned
          verses
          > actual. I would like feedback, constructive criticism, and
          recommendations
          > from the group.

          Hello,

          Not clear to me what you are measuring with your "productivity metric".

          You might consider having a metric based on number of use-cases
          projected vs. the number developed/modified for the particular
          iteration/release. I have had success relating this information to
          Priority, Complexity, and Stability for the feature being developed
          using high, medium, and low indicators. I also include expected
          risk(probability as a percentage, cost in dollars including effort,
          and impact in dollars) and relate them to the use cases and rank them.

          In this way, you can drive development using a series of measures that
          everyone can understand and you can easily change as the need dictates.

          Hope this helps.

          Regards,
          Barry
        • George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
            Sal "Nam Dao Xuan Thien" Bruno wrote:
            > The Productivity Index = [ P – (R – E)] / P x 100 %
            >

            > Where P = Planned hours (or BCWS)
            >
            > A = Result hours (or BCWP)
            >
            > E = Actual hours (or ACWP)

            And what is the R value in the equation?