Re: revive xp at my company

  • dnicolet99
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 1, 2007
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "eliga_repoleved"
      <eliga_repoleved@...> wrote:

      > ... there are current members of the team who have already "been
      > there and done that" with xp.

      Would some of those people be interested in acting as mentors/coaches
      to catalyze a revival of XP practices?
    • Ian Collins
      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 7, 2007
        Ron Jeffries wrote:

        >Hello, William. On Wednesday, February 7, 2007, at 8:59:11 AM, you
        >wrote:
        >

        >>If an interviewee doesn't engage in a conversation but
        >>pontificates, I'd point out explicitly that I'm looking for a
        >>directed chat and not a showoff lecture. If they fail to understand
        >>what I mean at that point (and long after explicit prefatory
        >>remarks), I have a really important piece of information about their
        >>understanding of what we do and how we do it.
        >>

        >Yes. However, I'd say that the "you at the whiteboard and me and my
        >staff behind this big table" sets the situation up particularly
        >badly. "All of us around this table," with whiteboard available ...
        >and perhaps even some suitable gesturing where we all get up if the
        >interviewee gets up to go to the whiteboard ... seems to me to be
        >more likely to elicit what one wants.

        That sums the issue up very well, sometimes asking someone to get up and
        use a white board is like the old fissioned stick the interviewee on the
        opposite side of the table to the interviewers situation.

        Some of the best pairs I have worked with have been strong introverts
        who would clam up if asked to stand up, unprepared, at a whiteboard.
        The first thing I try a gauge at an interview is whether the candidate
        is an introvert or an extrovert and tailor the process accordingly.

        Ian