Re: [XP] Productivity Metrics

  • Victor
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi Adrian, and anybody else,

      > To what use would I put my Productivity Index numbers?

      For the purpose of my following discussion, I would say the key word in
      the above statement is "I".

      Sal Bruno is asking a question where the interests of the development
      team and management don't converge. They do not necessarily conflict,
      but they are different. The interests of the XP development team are
      simplicity and all the other XP values.

      Management may have wider horizons, like to have a more detailed
      perspective and evaluation of how the dev team is doing in comparison
      with other teams. I would say that if this is what they are interested
      in, then it's their responsibility to collect the data, and they should
      not burden their developers with this additional responsibility, or if
      they do, it should be with full awareness on how it does affect
      productivity and morale.

      So, answering to Adrian, all depends on which role "I" has.

      One thing that surprises me is that somebody working for a CMMI Level 5
      company writes professional emails under an assumed name. Maybe "Level
      5" is not as bright as the label may suggest?

      Victor

      Adrian Howard wrote:
      > On 1 Feb 2007, at 13:11, Nam Dao Xuan Thien wrote:
      > [snip]
      >> The Productivity Index = [ P – (R – E)] / P x 100 %
      >>
      >> Where P = Planned hours (or BCWS)
      >>
      >> A = Result hours (or BCWP)
      >>
      >> E = Actual hours (or ACWP)
      > [snip]
      >> Again, I welcome your feedback, comments, criticisms, and
      >> recommendations.
      > [snip]
      >
      > To what use would I put my Productivity Index numbers?
      >
      > Adrian

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Slava Imeshev
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
          This metric should not be labeled: "the productivity metric", it should
          be labeled: "estimation accuracy".

          Productivity is a measure of quantity of 'finished product' or software
          features over actual hours.

          John Emery

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
            Looks like Sal's question was also posted on the Scrum Development
            board, and got some replies there.

            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Slava Imeshev"

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
              Hello, Nam. On Thursday, February 1, 2007, at 8:11:36 AM, you
              wrote:

              > The Productivity Index = 100%. That is, you productivity is normal or as
              > expected. The Progress Metric (not demonstrated here) would be over 100%
              > since you are ahead of schedule (planned verses actual), but productivity
              > wise, you are par for the course.

              This appears to be a measure of estimation accuracy, not of
              productivity.

              Speak the affirmative; emphasize your choice
              by utterly ignoring all that you reject. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
            • Barry_J_mgh
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
                > I am creating new metric - the productivity metric. This metric is an
                > aggregated metric from SPI and CPI. This metric is an indicator to
                > compliment the traditional Progress Metric which is simply planned
                verses
                > actual. I would like feedback, constructive criticism, and
                recommendations
                > from the group.

                Hello,

                Not clear to me what you are measuring with your "productivity metric".

                You might consider having a metric based on number of use-cases
                projected vs. the number developed/modified for the particular
                iteration/release. I have had success relating this information to
                Priority, Complexity, and Stability for the feature being developed
                using high, medium, and low indicators. I also include expected
                risk(probability as a percentage, cost in dollars including effort,
                and impact in dollars) and relate them to the use cases and rank them.

                In this way, you can drive development using a series of measures that
                everyone can understand and you can easily change as the need dictates.

                Hope this helps.

                Regards,
                Barry
              • George Dinwiddie
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
                  Sal "Nam Dao Xuan Thien" Bruno wrote:
                  > The Productivity Index = [ P – (R – E)] / P x 100 %
                  >

                  > Where P = Planned hours (or BCWS)
                  >
                  > A = Result hours (or BCWP)
                  >
                  > E = Actual hours (or ACWP)

                  And what is the R value in the equation?