Productivity Metrics

  • Nam Dao Xuan Thien
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hello,

      My name is Sal Bruno. I am a program metrics coordinator for my company and
      joined this group to grow in my abilities and skills in producing leading
      edge metrics for a CMMI Level 5 company.

      I am creating new metric - the productivity metric. This metric is an
      aggregated metric from SPI and CPI. This metric is an indicator to
      compliment the traditional Progress Metric which is simply planned verses
      actual. I would like feedback, constructive criticism, and recommendations
      from the group.

      The Productivity Index = [ P � (R � E)] / P x 100 %

      Where P = Planned hours (or BCWS)

      A = Result hours (or BCWP)

      E = Actual hours (or ACWP)

      Example: In creating the program plan, it was estimated that it
      takes 1 hour to build 1 widget

      You plan 8 hours to build widgets today � Planned hours (8 widgets)

      You actual product (the result) 11 widgets � Result
      hours (11 hours are reported to represent 11 widgets)

      You actually work 11 hours � Actual hours � Actual
      hours worked that day

      The Productivity Index = 100%. That is, you productivity is normal or as
      expected. The Progress Metric (not demonstrated here) would be over 100%
      since you are ahead of schedule (planned verses actual), but productivity
      wise, you are par for the course.

      Again, I welcome your feedback, comments, criticisms, and recommendations.

      Thank you, Sal.

      Salvatore R. Bruno

    • Adrian Howard
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
        On 1 Feb 2007, at 13:11, Nam Dao Xuan Thien wrote:
        [snip]
        > The Productivity Index = [ P – (R – E)] / P x 100 %
        >
        > Where P = Planned hours (or BCWS)
        >
        > A = Result hours (or BCWP)
        >
        > E = Actual hours (or ACWP)
        [snip]
        > Again, I welcome your feedback, comments, criticisms, and
        > recommendations.
        [snip]

        To what use would I put my Productivity Index numbers?

        Adrian
      • Kevin Wheatley
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
          Adrian Howard wrote:

          > To what use would I put my Productivity Index numbers?

          you could play a game during your slack time, and see who is the
          closest to generating prime numbers, Fibonacci series, etc...

          Kevin

          P.S. :-)

          --
          | Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this |
          | Senior Technology | My employer for certain |
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
            Adrian Howard wrote:

            > To what use would I put my Productivity Index numbers?

            you could play a game during your slack time, and see who is the
            closest to generating prime numbers, Fibonacci series, etc...

            Kevin

            P.S. :-)

            --
            | Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this |
            | Senior Technology | My employer for certain |
            | And Network Systems Architect | Not even myself |
          • Victor
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
              Hi Adrian, and anybody else,

              > To what use would I put my Productivity Index numbers?

              For the purpose of my following discussion, I would say the key word in
              the above statement is "I".

              Sal Bruno is asking a question where the interests of the development
              team and management don't converge. They do not necessarily conflict,
              but they are different. The interests of the XP development team are
              simplicity and all the other XP values.

              Management may have wider horizons, like to have a more detailed
              perspective and evaluation of how the dev team is doing in comparison
              with other teams. I would say that if this is what they are interested
              in, then it's their responsibility to collect the data, and they should
              not burden their developers with this additional responsibility, or if
              they do, it should be with full awareness on how it does affect
              productivity and morale.

              So, answering to Adrian, all depends on which role "I" has.

              One thing that surprises me is that somebody working for a CMMI Level 5
              company writes professional emails under an assumed name. Maybe "Level
              5" is not as bright as the label may suggest?

              Victor

              Adrian Howard wrote:
              > On 1 Feb 2007, at 13:11, Nam Dao Xuan Thien wrote:
              > [snip]
              >> The Productivity Index = [ P – (R – E)] / P x 100 %
              >>
              >> Where P = Planned hours (or BCWS)
              >>
              >> A = Result hours (or BCWP)
              >>
              >> E = Actual hours (or ACWP)
              > [snip]
              >> Again, I welcome your feedback, comments, criticisms, and
              >> recommendations.
              > [snip]
              >
              > To what use would I put my Productivity Index numbers?
              >
              > Adrian

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Slava Imeshev
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
                > Management may have wider horizons, like to have a more detailed
                > perspective and evaluation of how the dev team is doing in comparison
                > with other teams.

                This makes a very unsafe assumption that if a body has height
                and weight (metrics) then it's alive :)

                Regards,

                Slava Imeshev
                www.viewtier.com
              • John Emery
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
                  This metric should not be labeled: "the productivity metric", it should
                  be labeled: "estimation accuracy".

                  Productivity is a measure of quantity of 'finished product' or software
                  features over actual hours.

                  John Emery

[...]

                  ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended exclusively
                  for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged
                  information. Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure
                  or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
                  advise the sender by reply email and delete all copies.
                • dnicolet99
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
                    Looks like Sal's question was also posted on the Scrum Development
                    board, and got some replies there.

                    --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Slava Imeshev"

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Hello, Nam. On Thursday, February 1, 2007, at 8:11:36 AM, you
                      wrote:

                      > The Productivity Index = 100%. That is, you productivity is normal or as
                      > expected. The Progress Metric (not demonstrated here) would be over 100%
                      > since you are ahead of schedule (planned verses actual), but productivity
                      > wise, you are par for the course.

                      This appears to be a measure of estimation accuracy, not of
                      productivity.

                      Speak the affirmative; emphasize your choice
                      by utterly ignoring all that you reject. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
                    • Barry_J_mgh
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
                        > I am creating new metric - the productivity metric. This metric is an
                        > aggregated metric from SPI and CPI. This metric is an indicator to
                        > compliment the traditional Progress Metric which is simply planned
                        verses
                        > actual. I would like feedback, constructive criticism, and
                        recommendations
                        > from the group.

                        Hello,

                        Not clear to me what you are measuring with your "productivity metric".

                        You might consider having a metric based on number of use-cases
                        projected vs. the number developed/modified for the particular
                        iteration/release. I have had success relating this information to
                        Priority, Complexity, and Stability for the feature being developed
                        using high, medium, and low indicators. I also include expected
                        risk(probability as a percentage, cost in dollars including effort,
                        and impact in dollars) and relate them to the use cases and rank them.

                        In this way, you can drive development using a series of measures that
                        everyone can understand and you can easily change as the need dictates.

                        Hope this helps.

                        Regards,
                        Barry
                      • George Dinwiddie
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
                          Sal "Nam Dao Xuan Thien" Bruno wrote:
                          > The Productivity Index = [ P – (R – E)] / P x 100 %
                          >

                          > Where P = Planned hours (or BCWS)
                          >
                          > A = Result hours (or BCWP)
                          >
                          > E = Actual hours (or ACWP)

                          And what is the R value in the equation?