Re: [XP] Continuous Integration Question

  • Slava Imeshev
    Message 1 of 120 , Jan 31, 2007
      Ron,

      ----- Original Message -----
      > > Letting code into repository only after it has been pronounced
      > > good by a judging third-party is extremely inefficient, no matter
      > > if a judgment is made automatically or by hand.
      >
      > Why's that? If you're going to test it anyway, why not test it
      > first?

      I think there is some misunderstanding here. I am all for everyone
      running build and tests cleanly before checking in. It is serializing
      checkins that is bad because it slows down integration.

      Our shop is all-XP. Parabuild has been running over 3000 unit tests up until
      recently at every check in. But the test time started taking quite some time so
      we have moved some of tests to a backline build that runs hourly rather than
      continuously. This approach works well with the growing test base.

      > And if you're not going to test it, why write it, since if it
      > doesn't have to work, a shorter program would suffice.

      Exactly.

      Regards,

      Slava Imeshev
      www.viewtier.com
    • Brad Appleton
      Message 120 of 120 , Feb 11, 2007
        Slava Imeshev wrote:
        > Brad, it's not another name for "Private Branch". It is just a developer's branch.
        > Or Developer Branch if You Want To Speak Like Patterns...

        The usage is the same - it has many aliases, and "developer's branch"
        (or "Developer Branch") is one of the known ones for quite some time.

        --
        Brad Appleton <brad {AT} bradapp.net>