RE: [XP] How to make a Cost Analysis when using XP

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2007
      Dear Charleno,

      Looked at on a micro-scale, XP (especially in the beginning) is at least as
      expensive as conventional programming techniques (waterfall or chaos). That
      is, I believe that if you have an experienced team code their existing way
      on a new project until they are ready to turn the code over to QA and you
      compare that to a beginner XP team getting to the same state, the first team
      will likely get done sooner/cheaper. However, sending code to QA isn't my
      definition of "done". "Done" to me means the customers are getting value
      from the code and some of that value is flowing back to you. Some of the
      early efficiencies of XP come from reduced QA time, reduced time spent
      fixing defects, and reduced time spent implementing features that aren't
      valuable. Even beginner XP teams are often better at delivering value to
      customers than they were before applying XP. However, someone who is looking
      at development through the pinhole of "done coding" might not see it that
      way.

      An important exception to this analysis is when a conventional team has
      designed and coded a mess and they are unable to add new features at
      reasonable cost. Applying the XP values, principles, and practices can
      contribute to making some progress instead of none, which can be quite an
      improvement.

      As a team gains experience with XP, they can find many other opportunities
      to accelerate development and eliminate waste. For teams just beginning to
      apply XP, though, I think it is better to be prepared to take one step back
      before taking many steps forward rather than promise immediate improvement
      and then drive yourself crazy trying to achieve it in spite of the
      inevitable chaos of changing beliefs and practices.

      Regards,

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

      _____