Re: [XP] Splitting Story Mid-Iteration

  • Naresh Jain
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2007

      Someone told me that if mid-iteration you realize a story turns out to be much larger than thought, the customer can opt to split the story. This allows part of the work to be counted as velocity, but the remaining unfinished work is pushed into a different story that can be later scheduled by the customer. Is this correct?

      I would let the customer split the story into smaller stories, such that, each of story adds business value incrementally.

      >> We have a story that covers a number of reports due to formatting changes, and we are thinking that we could deliver part of the updates defined in the story, but create more stories for the other unfinished reports. From what we know now, we would have created multiple stories first.

      I'm assuming each report adds business value. Hence I would ask the customer to break them up into individual stories and prioritize them.

      --
      Naresh Jain
      http://jroller.com/page/njain

      Someone told me that if mid-iteration you realize a story turns out to

      be much larger than thought, the customer can opt to split the story.

      This allows part of the work to be counted as velocity, but the

      remaining unfinished work is pushed into a different story that can be

      later scheduled by the customer. Is this correct? We have a story

      that covers a number of reports due to formatting changes, and we are

      thinking that we could deliver part of the updates defined in the

      story, but create more stories for the other unfinished reports. From

      what we know now, we would have created multiple stories first.

      Thanks for advice,

      Karl.

      <!--

      #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}