RE: [XP] Value of Time-Boxed iterations?

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
      Dear Dylan,

      It sounds like you have found a process that works well for you and that
      matches XP values well. It also supports the lean manufacturing principle of
      not leaving work half done.

      I think I use feature-boxed iterations too, but I try to have my features
      small enough that I can still have a time-box rhythm going at a larger
      scale. So, for example, we work weekly on JUnit--adding a little feature or
      two or fixing a bug or two, but we're going to a monthly release cycle. The
      advantage of the time box for me is that it encourages scope decisions where
      I pick the most important half of a feature to implement and it encourages
      me to finish items instead of leaving them half done. A regular rhythm also
      gives external customers something to count on.

      Regards,

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

      _____