Re: [XP] "Automatic Activity"-based User Stories

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 44 , Jan 5, 2007
      Steven Gordon wrote:
      >> Also when
      >> given a template people can start treating story cards written this
      >> way as mini-requirements specs focussing on the written words rather
      >> than using stories as tools for driving a conversations. Even worse
      >> that stories that don't fit this form will be battered into shape
      >> until they do.
      >
      > A story that cannot be written in this form must not be delivering
      > tangible value to anybody (not users, administrators, maintainers,
      > sales people, etc.). It is highly likely that such a story is purely
      > technical and should not even be implemented until some kind of direct
      > user value can be identified.

      You've not convinced me. Can you offer some persuasion that only
      stories expressible in that particular sentence structure can deliver
      tangible value?

      I fear that you've taken a pattern intended to help people get started
      and are using it as a rule that limits expressibility.

      - George

      Message 44 of 44 , Jan 12, 2007
        Hello, John. On Friday, January 12, 2007, at 8:26:38 AM, you
        wrote:

        > I'm still slightly hung up on the business case however...
        > There are several business cases, but like I said they all come from
        > my company and not the customer. This change will help the customer
        > (intall/upgrade time, runtime), but it is not something that they have
        > asked for. I understand that my last statement should preclude us from
        > doing this work, but it is vital from our (the company) standpoint.

        > This is not work that we cannot do simply because it does not seem to
        > directly benefit the customer. I think we have a good solution for
        > tracking the work in 'stories' for this particular problem, but I
        > think that there has to be a way to track work that has to be done to
        > address something the company that is writing the program needs from
        > it where our shoehorning isn't possible.

        In what way is it "vital" to your company? That's the business
        reason, I'd guess ...

        Master your instrument, master the music,
        and then forget all that *!xy!@ and just play. -- Charlie Parker