Re: [XP] "Automatic Activity"-based User Stories

  • Chris Wheeler
    Message 1 of 44 , Jan 4, 2007

      > For example, say the system already supports the entering of a service
      > ("heart transplant") into the clinical component by a doctor using a
      > web-enabled Palm device. Let's say also that the system already
      > supports automatically recalculating the patient's balance in the
      > accounting component when a service is entered in this way. A new
      > feature might be to add support for the system to automatically post a
      > balance adjustment that writes-off the resulting balance if it is
      > under $10.
      >
      > How do I represent this new feature as a "user" story?

      Why can't it be like 'Dr. Jones enters a service for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith's
      account balance is less than $10 dollars, so his balance is automatically
      adjusted to zero."

      Would that work?
      Chris.

      Message 44 of 44 , Jan 12, 2007
        Hello, John. On Friday, January 12, 2007, at 8:26:38 AM, you
        wrote:

        > I'm still slightly hung up on the business case however...
        > There are several business cases, but like I said they all come from
        > my company and not the customer. This change will help the customer
        > (intall/upgrade time, runtime), but it is not something that they have
        > asked for. I understand that my last statement should preclude us from
        > doing this work, but it is vital from our (the company) standpoint.

        > This is not work that we cannot do simply because it does not seem to
        > directly benefit the customer. I think we have a good solution for
        > tracking the work in 'stories' for this particular problem, but I
        > think that there has to be a way to track work that has to be done to
        > address something the company that is writing the program needs from
        > it where our shoehorning isn't possible.

        In what way is it "vital" to your company? That's the business
        reason, I'd guess ...

        Master your instrument, master the music,
        and then forget all that *!xy!@ and just play. -- Charlie Parker