RE: [XP] "Automatic Activity"-based User Stories

  • Charlie Poole
    Message 1 of 44 , Jan 4, 2007
      Hi Mike,

      I understood what you wrote and I can imagine programming it. I would
      want to have customer access to ask questions of course, probably
      from the accounting department, which leads me to put the accountant
      in as the user ... if we need someone here.

      What additional benefit will it give you to be able to phrase the
      story in this way?

      Charlie

      Message 44 of 44 , Jan 12, 2007
        Hello, John. On Friday, January 12, 2007, at 8:26:38 AM, you
        wrote:

        > I'm still slightly hung up on the business case however...
        > There are several business cases, but like I said they all come from
        > my company and not the customer. This change will help the customer
        > (intall/upgrade time, runtime), but it is not something that they have
        > asked for. I understand that my last statement should preclude us from
        > doing this work, but it is vital from our (the company) standpoint.

        > This is not work that we cannot do simply because it does not seem to
        > directly benefit the customer. I think we have a good solution for
        > tracking the work in 'stories' for this particular problem, but I
        > think that there has to be a way to track work that has to be done to
        > address something the company that is writing the program needs from
        > it where our shoehorning isn't possible.

        In what way is it "vital" to your company? That's the business
        reason, I'd guess ...

        Master your instrument, master the music,
        and then forget all that *!xy!@ and just play. -- Charlie Parker