Re: [XP] Development Journal Tools?

  • Gojko Adzic
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
      c_snufkin wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I'm looking for something to make my development recordings easier to
      > produce and maintain, keep them consistent and perhaps nicely
      > formatted, so that other programmers can read and comment.
      >
      > For my next project, I want to keep a journal or a log with my
      > thoughts and questions, refactoring and design decisions... along the
      > lines of Ron's Adventures in C# and Kent+Martin's TDD By Example.
      >
      > I could just type everything in Notepad, even inventing some xml or
      > extending the suggested one for refactorings, but I'd like a
      > supporting tool.
      >
      > So, is there a client or web applications, such as blogging web-sites,
      > that are dedicated for programming, with syntax highlighted code
      > snippets etc?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Yonatan Elhanan

      I'm using dokuwiki for that (http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:dokuwiki),
      as a wiki it's relatively free form, and has syntax-highlighting for all
      most popular languages. to see it in action, check out
      www.swingwiki.org, I put a lot of java examples there.

      Gojko Adzic
      http://www.gojko.net
    • Cory Foy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
        c_snufkin wrote:
        > I could just type everything in Notepad, even inventing some xml or
        > extending the suggested one for refactorings, but I'd like a
        > supporting tool.

        I normally just keep notepad (or gEdit or vim) open and type what I'm
        doing while I go. When I code, I do it in the editor (VS or Eclipse or
        vim) and then paste it in wrapped in <code> elements. Most of my
        snippets are short enough to not warrant syntax highlighting outside of
        that.

        Visual Studio has a plug in which will allow you to "paste as HTML"
        though I've found the HTML to be somewhat bloated in the past. Windows
        Live Writer might support RTF pasting, so that might be another option.

        --
        Cory Foy
        http://www.cornetdesign.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
          Hi, Yonatan

          To highlight my code before pasting it to my blog I use this feature made by
          *Igor Russkih*:

          http://colorer.sourceforge.net/php/

          Cheers,

          Oleg Puzanov

          On 1/3/07, Cory Foy <usergroup@...> wrote:

          > c_snufkin wrote:
          > > I could just type everything in Notepad, even inventing some xml or
          > > extending the suggested one for refactorings, but I'd like a
          > > supporting tool.
          >
          > I normally just keep notepad (or gEdit or vim) open and type what I'm
          > doing while I go. When I code, I do it in the editor (VS or Eclipse or
          > vim) and then paste it in wrapped in <code> elements. Most of my
          > snippets are short enough to not warrant syntax highlighting outside of
          > that.
          >
          > Visual Studio has a plug in which will allow you to "paste as HTML"
          > though I've found the HTML to be somewhat bloated in the past. Windows
          > Live Writer might support RTF pasting, so that might be another option.
          >
          > --
          > Cory Foy
          > http://www.cornetdesign.com

        • Charlie Poole
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
            I haven't tried it yet, but the latest Linux Pro mag had an article
            on TiddlyWiki* (www.tiddlywiki.com). It's a single-page (!) Wiki
            consisting entirely of html, css and javascript. You download an
            empty copy and start adding changing it. Since it apparently saves
            a new copy of itself, it can only run locally. This may well be
            the STTCPW in the WIki world! Whether there are plugins for code
            highlighting, I don't know yet.

            Charlie