The Computer Industry Joke of the Year.

  • John Carter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      Finally supplanting the old "that was just the demo" and "let's
      push it back up the hill and see if it happens again", we have a new
      Joke Most Appropriate to the Computer Industry...

      This is copied, via my faulty memory, from the book "Beautiful
      Evidence" by Edward Tufte.

      A Big Name surgeon gave a lecture on his new procedure for vascular
      reconstruction at the medical school. At question time a single
      timid hand was raised, and a soft voice asked, "Were there any

      The Big Name glared across the now hushed, packed hall and
      thundered, "I suppose you mean I randomly elected not to perform
      this procedure on 50% of the patients?"

      In the silence the small voice, barely audible, said, "Yes."

      The Great Man banged his fists on the desk and snarled, "So I should
      just let half my patients die?!"

      Even though the hall was so so very quiet, you had to listen very
      carefully to hear the response.

      "Which Half?"

      Now given the Computer Industry's record -
      * replace "patient" with "project",
      * "patient dying" with "project failing",
      * "surgeon" with "project manager"
      * and "medical procedure" with "methodology or process".

      Then the answer, "Which Half?" is utterly hilarious and scarily

      ps. Run, don't walk, to your local bookshop / library and read
      "Beautiful Evidence". The computer industry really does need to learn
      from that book.

      John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
      Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
      New Zealand