Development Journal Tools?

  • c_snufkin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I'm looking for something to make my development recordings easier to
      produce and maintain, keep them consistent and perhaps nicely
      formatted, so that other programmers can read and comment.

      For my next project, I want to keep a journal or a log with my
      thoughts and questions, refactoring and design decisions... along the
      lines of Ron's Adventures in C# and Kent+Martin's TDD By Example.

      I could just type everything in Notepad, even inventing some xml or
      extending the suggested one for refactorings, but I'd like a
      supporting tool.

      So, is there a client or web applications, such as blogging web-sites,
      that are dedicated for programming, with syntax highlighted code
      snippets etc?

      Thanks,
      Yonatan Elhanan
    • Gojko Adzic
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
        c_snufkin wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I'm looking for something to make my development recordings easier to
        > produce and maintain, keep them consistent and perhaps nicely
        > formatted, so that other programmers can read and comment.
        >
        > For my next project, I want to keep a journal or a log with my
        > thoughts and questions, refactoring and design decisions... along the
        > lines of Ron's Adventures in C# and Kent+Martin's TDD By Example.
        >
        > I could just type everything in Notepad, even inventing some xml or
        > extending the suggested one for refactorings, but I'd like a
        > supporting tool.
        >
        > So, is there a client or web applications, such as blogging web-sites,
        > that are dedicated for programming, with syntax highlighted code
        > snippets etc?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Yonatan Elhanan

        I'm using dokuwiki for that (http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:dokuwiki),
        as a wiki it's relatively free form, and has syntax-highlighting for all
        most popular languages. to see it in action, check out
        www.swingwiki.org, I put a lot of java examples there.

        Gojko Adzic
        http://www.gojko.net
      • Cory Foy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
          c_snufkin wrote:
          > I could just type everything in Notepad, even inventing some xml or
          > extending the suggested one for refactorings, but I'd like a
          > supporting tool.

          I normally just keep notepad (or gEdit or vim) open and type what I'm
          doing while I go. When I code, I do it in the editor (VS or Eclipse or
          vim) and then paste it in wrapped in <code> elements. Most of my
          snippets are short enough to not warrant syntax highlighting outside of
          that.

          Visual Studio has a plug in which will allow you to "paste as HTML"
          though I've found the HTML to be somewhat bloated in the past. Windows
          Live Writer might support RTF pasting, so that might be another option.

          --
          Cory Foy
          http://www.cornetdesign.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
            Hi, Yonatan

            To highlight my code before pasting it to my blog I use this feature made by
            *Igor Russkih*:

            http://colorer.sourceforge.net/php/

            Cheers,

            Oleg Puzanov

            On 1/3/07, Cory Foy <usergroup@...> wrote:

            > c_snufkin wrote:
            > > I could just type everything in Notepad, even inventing some xml or
            > > extending the suggested one for refactorings, but I'd like a
            > > supporting tool.
            >
            > I normally just keep notepad (or gEdit or vim) open and type what I'm
            > doing while I go. When I code, I do it in the editor (VS or Eclipse or
            > vim) and then paste it in wrapped in <code> elements. Most of my
            > snippets are short enough to not warrant syntax highlighting outside of
            > that.
            >
            > Visual Studio has a plug in which will allow you to "paste as HTML"
            > though I've found the HTML to be somewhat bloated in the past. Windows
            > Live Writer might support RTF pasting, so that might be another option.
            >
            > --
            > Cory Foy
            > http://www.cornetdesign.com

          • Charlie Poole
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
              I haven't tried it yet, but the latest Linux Pro mag had an article
              on TiddlyWiki* (www.tiddlywiki.com). It's a single-page (!) Wiki
              consisting entirely of html, css and javascript. You download an
              empty copy and start adding changing it. Since it apparently saves
              a new copy of itself, it can only run locally. This may well be
              the STTCPW in the WIki world! Whether there are plugins for code
              highlighting, I don't know yet.

              Charlie