Re: [XP] TDD for Java multiprocessor software?

  • Paul Campbell
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2006
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "John A. De Goes"
      <john@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steve,
      >
      > I'm an expert in Java concurrency, and have done my fair share of TDD.
      > I can tell you this: for low-level multithreading code, classic TDD
      > won't buy you much, and at worst, it may give you a false sense of
      > security in the correctness of your code.

      Agreed,

      Even if you do manage to come up with reliably failing test now, it
      may be undermined in the future by changes in, well, just about
      anything (vm, os, hardware, 3rd party libraries etc etc).

      Also the complexity of multithreaded tests tends to far exceed the
      complexity of the code under test.

      Paul C.