Re: [XP] Does C++ unit testing become easier ?

  • Steven Woody
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
      On 12/2/06, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:

      > Steven Woody wrote:
      >
      > > how may c++ guys there? for unit testing, i think object mocking
      > > tools is a must. but mockpp is a daunting tool to use. is there any
      > > bettern choice today?
      >
      > Raw TDD on new code should not use so many mock objects. Most mock objects
      > should just be classes derived from production objects, with selected
      > methods overrode.
      >
      > Raw TDD typically generates highly decouple code that needs few mocks.
      > (There were huge threads here, summer and fall, discussing mock-abuse.)
      >
      > Some programmers migrate from Java or Python, where a mock object can
      > automatically sprout its required methods. That's an easy crutch; try to
      > write decoupled objects that don't need mocks of any kind.
      >
      > Expensive setup is a design smell.
      >
      > I have TDDed in C++ since '99, and I only heavily used mocking techniques
      > when dealing with legacy code. And even then, I most frequently overrode
      > production objects.

      it's interesting, but ... the problem is how to write decoupled code
      with few needs of object mocking. supposing i have three classes, C1,
      C2 and C3. a method of C1 uses a method of C2 and the method of C2
      calls C3 to print some result on some kind of output device. to test
      C1, real implemention of C2 has to already exist, the same applies to
      C3. and, more important, to check the C1's behavior, i have to
      finally check the C3's output, in many cases, i find it is teadious
      and impossible.

      i like to hear more suggestions on this subject. thank you.

      --
      woody

      then sun rose thinly from the sea and the old man could see the other
      boats, low on the water and well in toward the shore, spread out
      across the current.
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
        Steven Woody wrote:

        > it's interesting, but ... the problem is how to write decoupled code
        > with few needs of object mocking. supposing i have three classes, C1,
        > C2 and C3. a method of C1 uses a method of C2 and the method of C2
        > calls C3 to print some result on some kind of output device.

        You conflate two issues there. One is the domino theory, C1 -> C2 -> C3.

        The other is the proton problem. C3 affects hardware.

        (For my second TDD project ever, I once solved the proton problem by
        configuring my tests to pick a random fax machine in our office and
        send a bunch of faxes to it. Each time I hit the test button I
        destroyed the environment, and filled our office up with faxes that
        said "test data" at the top.)

        > to test
        > C1, real implemention of C2 has to already exist, the same applies to
        > C3. and, more important, to check the C1's behavior, i have to
        > finally check the C3's output, in many cases, i find it is teadious
        > and impossible.

        TDD tests generate behavior, not structure. The behavior in C3 could
        begin life in C1 and then migrate to C3. The tests still cover, and
        new tests should go to C2 or C3. Sometimes you set them up with a mock
        and sometimes you don't.

        To avoid polluting your regional protons, mock early and often. I
        fixed my fax tests by subscribing to a free online fax service. It
        e-mailed GIFs back to me.

        Then I left the tests running in a loop one night, and when I came to
        work the site had kill-filed me.

        --
        Phlip
        http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
          Quoting Steven Woody <narkewoody@...>:
          > it's interesting, but ... the problem is how to write decoupled code
          > with few needs of object mocking. supposing i have three classes, C1,
          > C2 and C3. a method of C1 uses a method of C2 and the method of C2
          > calls C3 to print some result on some kind of output device.

          Let's go all the way back to the beginning.

          You need a feature to print a report. So you sketch some class C1 with
          a method to print a report, and write a failing testcase for it. Now
          you implement the method in straightforward fashion by hard-coding
          printline statements.

          Sometime later, you learn you need to be able to print to HTML, in
          addition to standard out. Since HTML is a structured format, you
          create an interface, say C2, which contains a set of structured print
          methods, and you TDD delegation to a standard out implementation of C2
          that just uses spaces to represent structural information.

          This little refactoring enables you to TDD another implementation of
          C2 that 'prints' to HTML. At this point, C1, and both implementations
          of C2, have their own set of tests; and the tests for C1 indirectly
          test both implementations of C2. This is good -- it provides natural
          redundancy and is common in TDD'd code that doesn't use mock objects.

          Soon after you learn the customer wants to be able to perform
          structural translations on the fly (altering importance or ordering of
          headings, for example). You write your failing testcases, and stuff
          the restructuring code into both implementations of C2 in order to see
          the green.

          Now it's time for cleanup. You factor out the common restructuring
          code into a new class, say T, which then delegates to one of the two
          implementations of C2. You then rename C2 to C3, and T to C2.

          Now you have C1, C2, and C3. C1 calls to C2, which in turn calls to
          some implementation of C3, which ultimately prints out the
          information, to either standard out or HTML, depending on the
          implementation.

          Exactly the situation you describe. No need for mock objects, thank
          you. Each class is tested directly, and all of them are tested
          together (at the level of the tests for C1), which is often why TDDers
          refuse to call their tests 'unit tests' -- they can easily span huge
          chunks of the application.

          Regards,

          John
        • Keith Ray
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
            > You conflate two issues there. One is the domino theory, C1 -> C2 -> C3.

            In other words you should TDD the class "C", and then refactor class
            "C" into classes "C1", "C2", and "C3". No mocks necessary until you
            get to the point where you need to avoid messing with physical
            hardware.

            ----
            I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c , I n c .
            C. Keith Ray
            http://industriallogic.com
            http://industrialxp.org
            866-540-8336 (toll free)
            510-540-8336 (phone)
            Berkeley, California
          • Steven Woody
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
              On 12/2/06, John A. De Goes <john@...> wrote:

              > Quoting Steven Woody <narkewoody@...>:
              > > it's interesting, but ... the problem is how to write decoupled code
              > > with few needs of object mocking. supposing i have three classes, C1,
              > > C2 and C3. a method of C1 uses a method of C2 and the method of C2
              > > calls C3 to print some result on some kind of output device.
              >
              > Let's go all the way back to the beginning.
              >
              > You need a feature to print a report. So you sketch some class C1 with
              > a method to print a report, and write a failing testcase for it. Now
              > you implement the method in straightforward fashion by hard-coding
              > printline statements.
              >
              > Sometime later, you learn you need to be able to print to HTML, in
              > addition to standard out. Since HTML is a structured format, you
              > create an interface, say C2, which contains a set of structured print
              > methods, and you TDD delegation to a standard out implementation of C2
              > that just uses spaces to represent structural information.
              >
              > This little refactoring enables you to TDD another implementation of
              > C2 that 'prints' to HTML. At this point, C1, and both implementations
              > of C2, have their own set of tests; and the tests for C1 indirectly
              > test both implementations of C2. This is good -- it provides natural
              > redundancy and is common in TDD'd code that doesn't use mock objects.
              >
              > Soon after you learn the customer wants to be able to perform
              > structural translations on the fly (altering importance or ordering of
              > headings, for example). You write your failing testcases, and stuff
              > the restructuring code into both implementations of C2 in order to see
              > the green.
              >
              > Now it's time for cleanup. You factor out the common restructuring
              > code into a new class, say T, which then delegates to one of the two
              > implementations of C2. You then rename C2 to C3, and T to C2.
              >
              > Now you have C1, C2, and C3. C1 calls to C2, which in turn calls to
              > some implementation of C3, which ultimately prints out the
              > information, to either standard out or HTML, depending on the
              > implementation.
              >
              > Exactly the situation you describe. No need for mock objects, thank
              > you. Each class is tested directly, and all of them are tested
              > together (at the level of the tests for C1), which is often why TDDers
              > refuse to call their tests 'unit tests' -- they can easily span huge
              > chunks of the application.

              thank you very much, i begin to understan. but i still want to
              question: how about working with other members in a team? here, you
              can image C1, C2, C3 are not simple classses, they are actually
              subsystem consisting many of classes to do a meanful job. we do a
              rough front-design and have Tom to implement C1, and Jack to implement
              C2 which will support the implementation of the C1. you see the
              problem? if i don't want Tom to wail until Jack checkin a workable
              version, i guess i will have to use mock, and if i won't, another
              problem is every Tom's test will bother Jack. am i right? and how you
              guys cure this kind of problem?

              thanks.

              -
              woody
            • Bill Caputo
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                On 12/1/06, Steven Woody <narkewoody@...> wrote:
                > thank you very much, i begin to understan. but i still want to
                > question: how about working with other members in a team? here, you
                > can image C1, C2, C3 are not simple classses, they are actually
                > subsystem consisting many of classes to do a meanful job. we do a
                > rough front-design and have Tom to implement C1, and Jack to implement
                > C2 which will support the implementation of the C1. you see the
                > problem? if i don't want Tom to wail until Jack checkin a workable
                > version, i guess i will have to use mock, and if i won't, another
                > problem is every Tom's test will bother Jack. am i right? and how you
                > guys cure this kind of problem?

                On my team here's how it goes: First, we pair together. If I am Tom, I
                pair with Jack on C2 until we have enough to start C1, then we switch
                and go work on C1 for a while (or perhaps I pair with Jane on C1 while
                Jack pairs with Joe to continue C2). In either case, we spend about 3
                hours working on things (test-code-refactor), then check-in, switch
                pairs and/or tasks, and repeat. We are also working in easy talking
                distance of each other, so that if we need to collaborate further, we
                just do so.

                As for the subsystem part -- we don't sign up for subsystems -- or
                even classes, we take tasks (think 3 hours to 2 days max to implement
                something that furthers a story) and we switch up in 1/2 day
                increments. If all of its done test-first, it doesn't matter anyway,
                you'll extend what's there in small increments regardless.

                In short: the application of small tasks, pairing, frequent pair
                switching, pairing across tasks, co-location, and test-code-refactor
                are sufficient to tackle this scenario... regardless of language.

                Best,
                Bill
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 2, 2006
                  Hello, Steven. On Saturday, December 2, 2006, at 12:29:57 AM, you
                  wrote:

                  > thank you very much, i begin to understan. but i still want to
                  > question: how about working with other members in a team? here, you
                  > can image C1, C2, C3 are not simple classses, they are actually
                  > subsystem consisting many of classes to do a meanful job. we do a
                  > rough front-design and have Tom to implement C1, and Jack to implement
                  > C2 which will support the implementation of the C1. you see the
                  > problem? if i don't want Tom to wail until Jack checkin a workable
                  > version, i guess i will have to use mock, and if i won't, another
                  > problem is every Tom's test will bother Jack. am i right? and how you
                  > guys cure this kind of problem?

                  You have correctly identified that dividing the work between people
                  by class doesn't work.

                  One good solution is ... don't do that.

                  XP has practices like Pair Programming and Team Code Ownership to
                  address that ...

                  Perhaps this Silver Bullet will tell you who I am ...
                • Steven Woody
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 2, 2006

                    > Hello, Steven. On Saturday, December 2, 2006, at 12:29:57 AM, you
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > thank you very much, i begin to understan. but i still want to
                    > > question: how about working with other members in a team? here, you
                    > > can image C1, C2, C3 are not simple classses, they are actually
                    > > subsystem consisting many of classes to do a meanful job. we do a
                    > > rough front-design and have Tom to implement C1, and Jack to implement
                    > > C2 which will support the implementation of the C1. you see the
                    > > problem? if i don't want Tom to wail until Jack checkin a workable
                    > > version, i guess i will have to use mock, and if i won't, another
                    > > problem is every Tom's test will bother Jack. am i right? and how you
                    > > guys cure this kind of problem?
                    >
                    > You have correctly identified that dividing the work between people
                    > by class doesn't work.
                    >
                    > One good solution is ... don't do that.
                    >
                    > XP has practices like Pair Programming and Team Code Ownership to
                    > address that ...

                    thank you. is there any book dedicately contribute to Pair

                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 2, 2006
                      "Pair Programming Illuminated" is the book on pair programming.

                      "Collaboration Explained" is another book, which is on my to-read list.

                      There are a few more here:

                      http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/xpminifaq.html

                      On 12/2/06, Steven Woody <narkewoody@...> wrote:
                      > On 12/2/06, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Hello, Steven. On Saturday, December 2, 2006, at 12:29:57 AM, you
                      > > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > thank you very much, i begin to understan. but i still want to
                      > > > question: how about working with other members in a team? here, you
                      > > > can image C1, C2, C3 are not simple classses, they are actually
                      > > > subsystem consisting many of classes to do a meanful job. we do a
                      > > > rough front-design and have Tom to implement C1, and Jack to implement
                      > > > C2 which will support the implementation of the C1. you see the
                      > > > problem? if i don't want Tom to wail until Jack checkin a workable
                      > > > version, i guess i will have to use mock, and if i won't, another
                      > > > problem is every Tom's test will bother Jack. am i right? and how you
                      > > > guys cure this kind of problem?
                      > >
                      > > You have correctly identified that dividing the work between people
                      > > by class doesn't work.
                      > >
                      > > One good solution is ... don't do that.
                      > >
                      > > XP has practices like Pair Programming and Team Code Ownership to
                      > > address that ...
                      > >

                      > thank you. is there any book dedicately contribute to Pair
                      > Programming and Team Code Ownership?
                      >
                      > -
                      > woody

                      ----
                      C. Keith Ray
                    • John A. De Goes
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 2, 2006
                        Hi Steven,

                        > thank you very much, i begin to understan. but i still want to
                        > question: how about working with other members in a team? here,
                        > you can image C1, C2, C3 are not simple classses, they are actually
                        > subsystem consisting many of classes to do a meanful job. we do a
                        > rough front-design and have Tom to implement C1, and Jack to
                        > implement C2 which will support the implementation of the C1. you
                        > see the problem?

                        I see you're trying to concurrently implement a collection of subsystems that depend on each other, based on an initial design. The problem with this approach is one of waste:

                        1. Your initial design is going to have some features it doesn't need;

                        2. Because you can't anticipate everything you *will* need, some features you forgot will probably not fit into your architecture, and will force you to do substantial architectural revisions;

                        3. Different teams will have different ideas about how the interfaces between the subsystems are supposed to operate, resulting in incompatibilities that need to be smoothed over;

                        4. The design is constrained to fit your initial model, and while it may be possible to solve the problem in a way that fits the model, it may not be the most efficient way of solving the problem.

                        One way to reduce waste, and avoid mock objects, is to practice 'vertical slice development.' In this approach, instead of coding individual subsystems (concurrently or sequentially), which you then try to glue together at the end, you divide the problem into 'features', each of which has some value to the 'customer'.

                        The features generally cut through multiple subsystems. Team A takes feature 1, Team B takes feature 2, and Team C takes feature 3. If everyone is practicing continuous integration, checking their code in every few hours, then coherent subsystems will form naturally, through the process of refactoring.

                        Regards,

                        John
                      • Phlip
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 2, 2006
                          Ron Jeffries wrote:

                          > You have correctly identified that dividing the work between people
                          > by class doesn't work.
                          >
                          > One good solution is ... don't do that.
                          >
                          > XP has practices like Pair Programming and Team Code Ownership to
                          > address that ...

                          Shorter way to say it:

                          Developers own features, not classes.

                          You pull the card for a feature, you get a pair, you change here and there
                          to implement the feature, and you check in.

                          --
                          Phlip
                        • Steven Woody
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                            On 12/3/06, John A. De Goes <john@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Steven,
                            >
                            > > thank you very much, i begin to understan. but i still want to
                            > > question: how about working with other members in a team? here,
                            > > you can image C1, C2, C3 are not simple classses, they are actually
                            > > subsystem consisting many of classes to do a meanful job. we do a
                            > > rough front-design and have Tom to implement C1, and Jack to
                            > > implement C2 which will support the implementation of the C1. you
                            > > see the problem?
                            >
                            > I see you're trying to concurrently implement a collection of subsystems that depend on each other, based on an initial design. The problem with this approach is one of waste:
                            >
                            > 1. Your initial design is going to have some features it doesn't need;
                            >
                            > 2. Because you can't anticipate everything you *will* need, some features you forgot will probably not fit into your architecture, and will force you to do substantial architectural revisions;
                            >
                            > 3. Different teams will have different ideas about how the interfaces between the subsystems are supposed to operate, resulting in incompatibilities that need to be smoothed over;
                            >
                            > 4. The design is constrained to fit your initial model, and while it may be possible to solve the problem in a way that fits the model, it may not be the most efficient way of solving the problem.
                            >
                            > One way to reduce waste, and avoid mock objects, is to practice 'vertical slice development.' In this approach, instead of coding individual subsystems (concurrently or sequentially), which you then try to glue together at the end, you divide the problem into 'features', each of which has some value to the 'customer'.
                            >
                            > The features generally cut through multiple subsystems. Team A takes feature 1, Team B takes feature 2, and Team C takes feature 3. If everyone is practicing continuous integration, checking their code in every few hours, then coherent subsystems will form naturally, through the process of refactoring.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > John

                            thank you John. if i still has something to ask on this subject, i
                            think that is what is the essential difference between feature and
                            tasks. can you show some examples?

                            thank you.

                            -
                            woody
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                              Hello, Phlip. On Sunday, December 3, 2006, at 1:32:54 AM, you
                              wrote:

                              >> You have correctly identified that dividing the work between people
                              >> by class doesn't work.
                              >>
                              >> One good solution is ... don't do that.
                              >>
                              >> XP has practices like Pair Programming and Team Code Ownership to
                              >> address that ...

                              > Shorter way to say it:

                              > Developers own features, not classes.

                              > You pull the card for a feature, you get a pair, you change here and there
                              > to implement the feature, and you check in.

                              While I do personally prefer the developer owns feature "pattern",
                              as far as I know, that's not the only "XP" way to do it.

                              A lot of preconceptions can be dismissed when you actually
                              try something out. -- Bruce Eckel
                            • Phlip
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                Ron Jeffries wrote:

                                >> Developers own features, not classes.
                                >
                                > While I do personally prefer the developer owns feature "pattern",
                                > as far as I know, that's not the only "XP" way to do it.

                                Yet it's the inverse way to say "developers don't own classes", an ideal
                                which XP supports.

                                --
                                Phlip
                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                  Hello, Phlip. On Sunday, December 3, 2006, at 9:51:41 AM, you
                                  wrote:

                                  > Ron Jeffries wrote:

                                  >>> Developers own features, not classes.
                                  >>
                                  >> While I do personally prefer the developer owns feature "pattern",
                                  >> as far as I know, that's not the only "XP" way to do it.

                                  > Yet it's the inverse way to say "developers don't own classes", an ideal
                                  > which XP supports.

                                  I believe that it might be that XP "supports" the notion that an
                                  individual developer generally does not "own" specific parts of the
                                  code.

                                  That does not imply that the developer therefore owns features, and
                                  I see no inverse relationship or other equivalence between "don't
                                  own classes" and "do own features".

                                  No one expects the Spanish Inquisition ...
                                • Phlip
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                    Ron Jeffries wrote:

                                    > That does not imply that the developer therefore owns features

                                    Developers own one user story during one iteration...

                                    --
                                    Phlip
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                      Hello, Phlip. On Sunday, December 3, 2006, at 10:33:15 AM, you
                                      wrote:

                                      > Ron Jeffries wrote:

                                      >> That does not imply that the developer therefore owns features

                                      > Developers own one user story during one iteration...

                                      Not necessarily. That was, I believe, my original point. While I do
                                      think that is /a/ good way, I don't think it is the only acceptable
                                      XP way.

                                      Take Arlo Belshee, for example.

                                      Assume that anything you didn't like was the funny stuff.
                                      -- Jim Shore
                                    • Phlip
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                        Ron Jeffries wrote:

                                        >> Developers own one user story during one iteration...
                                        >
                                        > Not necessarily. That was, I believe, my original point. While I do
                                        > think that is /a/ good way, I don't think it is the only acceptable
                                        > XP way.

                                        If Mr Q pencil the estimate on a story card, I check with him, or his
                                        next-of-kin at least, before yanking it off the board and doing it. Right??

                                        --
                                        Phlip
                                      • John A. De Goes
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                          Hi Steven,

                                          > thank you John. if i still has something to ask on this subject, i
                                          > think that is what is the essential difference between feature and
                                          > tasks. can you show some examples?

                                          A feature is something that the customer wants. When a feature is implemented, the customer will be able to discern it. Generally, a feature is something the customer can use, see, hear, touch, or feel (depending on the context).

                                          In a word processor, one feature might be the ability to italicize text in the document. In an interface for a digital camera, a feature might be the ability to change the number of frames per second. In an SDK targeted at programmers, a feature might be the ability to register a callback that's notified of state changes.

                                          Features are distinguished by the fact that they have value to the customer. Customers can look at them and say, 'Yeah, that feature moved the program closer to my goal.'

                                          In order to implement a feature, a programmer has to go through a number of tasks. These tasks are not generally visible to the user, and it's not obvious to the user that the program is any closer to her goal, when some task or another has been completed.

                                          Are the developers generally assigned 'tasks' at your company?

                                          Regards,

                                          John
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                            Hello, Phlip. On Sunday, December 3, 2006, at 11:38:54 AM, you
                                            wrote:

                                            >>> Developers own one user story during one iteration...
                                            >>
                                            >> Not necessarily. That was, I believe, my original point. While I do
                                            >> think that is /a/ good way, I don't think it is the only acceptable
                                            >> XP way.

                                            > If Mr Q pencil the estimate on a story card, I check with him, or his
                                            > next-of-kin at least, before yanking it off the board and doing it. Right??

                                            Yes, I think working together on things is a really good idea ...

                                            Any errors you find in this are the work of Secret Villains,
                                            whose mad schemes will soon be revealed. -- Wil McCarthy
                                          • Phlip
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                              Ron Jeffries wrote:

                                              >> If Mr Q pencil the estimate on a story card, I check with him, or his
                                              >> next-of-kin at least, before yanking it off the board and doing it.
                                              >> Right??
                                              >
                                              > Yes, I think working together on things is a really good idea ...

                                              Okay. Mr Q, our "database guy", wrote a 10 minute estimate on the card. I,
                                              who know least about the database, will pull it and go pair with Mr.
                                              Spalding, who knows the second-least.

                                              A-working-together we go!

                                              --
                                              Phlip
                                            • Adrian Sutton
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                                On 04/12/2006, at 5:45 AM, Phlip wrote:
                                                > Okay. Mr Q, our "database guy", wrote a 10 minute estimate on the
                                                > card. I,
                                                > who know least about the database, will pull it and go pair with Mr.
                                                > Spalding, who knows the second-least.
                                                >
                                                > A-working-together we go!

                                                This is a very good thing. By the time you have done your task you
                                                will both know more about the database and be more productive,
                                                valuable members of the team in future. The team bus number has now
                                                been increased.

                                                If along the way you need help, you'll ask for it because everyone in
                                                your team is happy to offer assistance and their close by because you
                                                all sit together. The worst possible outcome is that the task you're
                                                implementing is such a mess it needs to be thrown out and started
                                                again, but you can't possibly break anything that's already working
                                                because the tests will tell you about it before you check in.

                                                If any of the above isn't true in your team then you have a problem,
                                                but it doesn't lie in who is taking on the task. One thing I can see
                                                as a problem is that you have individual developers estimating tasks
                                                rather than the team as a whole. While this is tempting to speed up
                                                the estimating process, it means that the person who estimated the
                                                task is likely the only person for whom the estimate is valid. If
                                                they happen to be sick for a few days, or busy with something else,
                                                you're in trouble.

                                                At least, that's the way I see it. It's not easy to get to that
                                                stage, but I do see it as a very worthwhile goal.

                                                Regards,

                                                Adrian Sutton
                                                http://www.symphonious.net
                                              • Phlip
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                                  Adrian Sutton wrote:

                                                  > This is a very good thing. By the time you have done your task you
                                                  > will both know more about the database and be more productive,
                                                  > valuable members of the team in future. The team bus number has now
                                                  > been increased.

                                                  I hope you remember this mail when, someday, we are working together, and
                                                  you pencil a 1-day estimate on a card, and then when you are out I grab it
                                                  and a pair and spend 3 days doing it very badly.

                                                  --
                                                  Phlip
                                                • Russel Hill
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                                    On 12/3/06, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:
                                                    > > This is a very good thing. By the time you have done your task you
                                                    > > will both know more about the database and be more productive,
                                                    > > valuable members of the team in future. The team bus number has now
                                                    > > been increased.
                                                    >
                                                    > I hope you remember this mail when, someday, we are working together, and
                                                    > you pencil a 1-day estimate on a card, and then when you are out I grab it
                                                    > and a pair and spend 3 days doing it very badly.

                                                    But, ... did you learn something in the process?

                                                    Badly written code that has supporting tests can usually be dealt
                                                    with. Possibly when the senior team member returns the less
                                                    experienced team member(s) will get to pair on the cleanup. I have
                                                    occasionally allowed inexperienced pairs to go it alone for a few days
                                                    just to experience this. I think this helps them refine their skills
                                                    and develop a nose for smelly code.
                                                  • Adrian Sutton
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                                      On 04/12/2006, at 8:13 AM, Phlip wrote:

                                                      > Adrian Sutton wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      >> This is a very good thing. By the time you have done your task you
                                                      >> will both know more about the database and be more productive,
                                                      >> valuable members of the team in future. The team bus number has now
                                                      >> been increased.
                                                      >
                                                      > I hope you remember this mail when, someday, we are working
                                                      > together, and
                                                      > you pencil a 1-day estimate on a card, and then when you are out I
                                                      > grab it
                                                      > and a pair and spend 3 days doing it very badly.

                                                      Ah but you wouldn't, because you'd come and ask for help once you
                                                      realize you are struggling. Alternatively, you'd mention you were
                                                      working on it at the next morning's stand up and I'd check in to see
                                                      how you're going. This is actually quite similar to my current
                                                      situation - I have more experience with the code base than anyone and
                                                      so I spend a lot of my time helping bring others up to speed when
                                                      they are venturing into areas they don't know much about yet.

                                                      Yes the work would get done faster if I did it myself, but that's
                                                      only a short term view. Even if I take up all my time helping the
                                                      five other team members to be more productive and learn more about
                                                      the code, the team as a whole will go faster than if I took on
                                                      everything myself and left them to struggle without assistance.

                                                      The key to making it works comes in the discussion that started off
                                                      this tangent:

                                                      >>> That does not imply that the developer therefore owns feature
                                                      >
                                                      >> Developers own one user story during one iteration...
                                                      >
                                                      > Not necessarily. That was, I believe, my original point. While I do
                                                      > think that is /a/ good way, I don't think it is the only acceptable
                                                      > XP way.

                                                      If you have developers that own a story, feature, task or class, they
                                                      can get themselves lost and struggle and the team won't be there to
                                                      help out. If the *team* owns all the stories, tasks, features and
                                                      classes then we all work together to make sure that everything gets
                                                      down. It can be useful for one person to take ownership of tracking
                                                      the progress of a story to make sure it doesn't fall between the
                                                      cracks, but the team as a whole is still responsible for doing the
                                                      work. Sharing the work load and responsibility also means sharing the
                                                      knowledge, so when someone in the team is struggling they can ask for
                                                      help or other team members will just notice they are struggling and
                                                      go and help.

                                                      My experience is that it works very well, but you do need a well
                                                      gelled team.

                                                      Regards,

                                                      Adrian Sutton
                                                      http://www.symphonious.net
                                                    • Ilja Preuss
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                                        Phlip schrieb:
                                                        > Adrian Sutton wrote:
                                                        >
                                                        >> This is a very good thing. By the time you have done your task you
                                                        >> will both know more about the database and be more productive,
                                                        >> valuable members of the team in future. The team bus number has now
                                                        >> been increased.
                                                        >
                                                        > I hope you remember this mail when, someday, we are working together, and
                                                        > you pencil a 1-day estimate on a card, and then when you are out I grab it
                                                        > and a pair and spend 3 days doing it very badly.

                                                        I think you misunderstood what "working together" means.

                                                        Take care, Ilja
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Dec 3, 2006
                                                          Hello, Phlip. On Sunday, December 3, 2006, at 5:13:54 PM, you
                                                          wrote:

                                                          > Adrian Sutton wrote:

                                                          >> This is a very good thing. By the time you have done your task you
                                                          >> will both know more about the database and be more productive,
                                                          >> valuable members of the team in future. The team bus number has now
                                                          >> been increased.

                                                          > I hope you remember this mail when, someday, we are working together, and
                                                          > you pencil a 1-day estimate on a card, and then when you are out I grab it
                                                          > and a pair and spend 3 days doing it very badly.

                                                          Even if you accepted the estimate blindly, wouldn't you be wise
                                                          enough, at the end of the first day (if not the first morning) to
                                                          mention at the standup that you were in trouble?

                                                          Testing quality into a program is like spinning straw into gold.
                                                          -- George Cameron.