Does C++ unit testing become easier ?

  • Steven Woody
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
      how may c++ guys there? for unit testing, i think object mocking
      tools is a must. but mockpp is a daunting tool to use. is there any
      bettern choice today?

      thanks.

      --
      woody

      then sun rose thinly from the sea and the old man could see the other
      boats, low on the water and well in toward the shore, spread out
      across the current.
    • John A. De Goes
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
        I personally don't encourage heavy use of strong mocking frameworks
        because they permit even the worst design to be tested simply. That's
        generally not a good thing, because it allows a developer to forego
        TDD and play catch up later, writing tests to whatever monstrosity she
        has created.

        Mocking is principally useful when trying to get legacy code under
        automated tests. If you are doing TDD, you'll seldom need more than a
        few test objects at critical junctions in the application. And for
        doing TDD, none can surpass UnitTest++, which is quite simply the best
        unit testing framework for C++.

        Anyway, to address your original question, there's simply no good
        solution that doesn't involve preprocessing the code or using
        debugging information.

        Regards,

        John

        Quoting Steven Woody <narkewoody@...>:

        > how may c++ guys there? for unit testing, i think object mocking
        > tools is a must. but mockpp is a daunting tool to use. is there any
        > bettern choice today?
        >
        > thanks.
        >
        > --
        > woody
        >
        > then sun rose thinly from the sea and the old man could see the other
        > boats, low on the water and well in toward the shore, spread out
        > across the current.

      • Anthony Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2006
          "Steven Woody" <narkewoody@...> writes:

          > how may c++ guys there? for unit testing, i think object mocking
          > tools is a must. but mockpp is a daunting tool to use. is there any
          > bettern choice today?

          I've just uploaded a blog entry on the topic of mock usage to my website:

          http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk/tdd/mocks_stubs_fakes_and_interaction-based_testing.html

          I think this is particularly relevant, since I mainly work in C++. Quick
          summary: I use quite a few dummy implementations, mainly "self shunt", but not
          full blown "Mock Objects", and certainly not any object mocking tools or
          frameworks. I use them to help separate responsibilities, and particularly
          when the concrete implementation that I'm replacing would need to talk to
          external systems, whether that is a database, a file, external hardware, or
          something over the network.

          Anthony
          --
          Anthony Williams
          Software Developer
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2006
            On 12/4/06, Anthony Williams <anthony_w.geo@...> wrote:

            > "Steven Woody" <narkewoody@...> writes:
            >
            > > how may c++ guys there? for unit testing, i think object mocking
            > > tools is a must. but mockpp is a daunting tool to use. is there any
            > > bettern choice today?
            >
            > I've just uploaded a blog entry on the topic of mock usage to my website:
            >
            > http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk/tdd/mocks_stubs_fakes_and_interaction-based_testing.html
            >
            > I think this is particularly relevant, since I mainly work in C++. Quick
            > summary: I use quite a few dummy implementations, mainly "self shunt", but not
            > full blown "Mock Objects", and certainly not any object mocking tools or
            > frameworks. I use them to help separate responsibilities, and particularly
            > when the concrete implementation that I'm replacing would need to talk to
            > external systems, whether that is a database, a file, external hardware, or
            > something over the network.

            thank you for sharing your site. thanks!