[OT] Re: RUP and Agile

  • Scott Ambler
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "dnicolet99"
      <dnicolet@...> wrote:
      > > That can work too, but a lot of organizations won't tolerate
      that. A
      > > couple of months ago one of our consultants ran into an
      > > that wanted to learn how to distinguish agile projects from
      > > traditional projects. The goal was to root out all the agile
      > > projects and get rid of them. Didn't sound like a very good
      > > to me, but then again what do I know?
      > Sounds like a good strategy for their competitors. ;-)

      Exactly. You certainly don't get gifts handed like that handed to
      you every day. ;-)

      > Meanwhile, what should Nam do?
      As Ron pointed out the other day, this discussion is off topic for
      this list. So here's my final say on this subject:
      1. Look at a variety of software processes, including both XP and
      variations of RUP, and try to identify one which seems to fit your
      current environment.
      2. Another option is to build your own process from techniques such
      as TDD, pair programming, agile modeling, ... Maybe all the
      processes are "too big" for your current environment to adopt.
      3. If you want to discuss the UP, then find an UP list. If RUP
      appears to be what you want, find a RUP forum; if EssUP appears to
      be what you want, find an EssUP forum, ...
      4. #3 holds for other processes such as DSDM, FDD, Crystal, ....

      - Scott