Re: [XP] ANN: TP 2.0 Release (Agile Project Management Sof

  • Michael Dubakov
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
      I see quite large gap between what we want to put into TargetProcess
      and your comments. Maybe it is our fault.

      > A bug list -- not a good sign in my opinion ...

      Do you really not have bugs in your projects? At least you should
      handle them like user stories. TargetProcess do exactly that.

      > Time tracking -- not the first Agile chart I'd draw ...

      Time Tracking can be switched off. And there will be no
      such columns as Time Spent, Time Remaining etc.
      We've tried to make TP flexible. If you don't need time tracking,
      turn it off and all time related parts will be removed from UI.

      > Projects -- are these what XP would call stories? With ...

      Projects are projects. Company may have many projects to work on
      and XP stories are represented by "user stories" in TP
      (inside exact project). TargetProcess is not a tool for only one
      project, it supports multiple projects as well.

      > Priority, Status, Effort, Progress, Time Spent, Time Remaining
      > (Which, because the tool has them, are all likely to be used.)

      Almost all of these columns calculated automatically except Priority
      and Effort (in points) which are set manually.
      You set Priority (Business Value) and Effort on cards in anyway!

      > A "burn down" chart that I don't understand at all, with an
      > apparent "effort" focus. Maybe that just means points or story
      > size, I'm not sure ...

      Burn down is natural, maybe we should put more info about it. Burn
      down measures remaining effort units (points or ideal hours, since
      different teams prefer different units).

      > An apparent focus on work assignment rather than dynamic work
      > selection ...

      Yes, that is maybe right. We will try to improve here.

      > Bug Tracking with nine or a dozen columns of information ...
      > Complex bug addition page -- really planning to have lots of
      > defects I guess ...

      You may use just one field - bug name. Other fields are optional
      and there are 7-9 fields in total. Is it really complex?
      Bugzilla has 25 fields!

      > Workflow -- ?

      Simple state management. For example, bug workflow may be different
      in different companies.

      > Requirements info stored in the tool instead of in conversation
      > and tests ...

      TP does not foce you to store requirements in the tool.
      You may do that, but may not. In fact tool implementation
      often is not about the tool, it is about the people.
      If project manager or team lead will be wise and know how to
      lead the team effectively, she will not burden the process,
      but will use the tool to increase efficiency. If not, no one
      can help.

      Michael
      http://www.targetprocess.com

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hello, Michael. On Friday, December 1, 2006, at 7:23:27 AM, you
        wrote:

        > I see quite large gap between what we want to put into TargetProcess
        > and your comments. Maybe it is our fault.

        Or it could be mine. I believe that tools are more commonly an
        impediment to the interactions between individuals that, to me, are
        core to doing Agile (and especially what I think XP is).

        But as I tried to indicate before, your tool looks nice, and
        comprehensive. It appears to be well done, at least as far as one
        can tell from the screen shots.

        And I've not used it, so I couldn't possible know as much as you do.

        I do know this: Chet Hendrickson and I have been coaching Agile
        projects for nigh on to a decade now, and we program most every day
        when we're not on a gig. If we knew of a software product for
        guiding Agile projects, we would have built it by now. Chet puts it
        this way: We don't build a product because we can't think of a
        product we would actually recommend.

        I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way. -- Jessica Rabbit
      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
          Ron Jeffries wrote:
          > Hello, members. On Thursday, November 30, 2006, at 5:20:31 AM,
          > Michael wrote:
          >
          >> TargetProcess Company is pleased to announce the release of
          >> TargetProcess v.2 <http://www.targetprocess.com> , the next generation
          >> project management software
          >> product for agile projects.
          >
          > Question: Should this have been permitted, on the basis of being an
          > avowedly agile-focused product, or not?

          I don't mind product announcements, but this one is, in my opinion,
          rather long on marketing-speak. I've got no idea what "maps entities
          life-cycle to your business processes" means. Between the fact that it
          lists features that aren't described, and the weird formatting (in text
          mode, anyway), I wouldn't be inclined to give it a second thought.

          I think a short, personal description of the itch the product intends to
          scratch would be more appropriate to the list than this sort of
          brochure-ware.

          - George

          * George Dinwiddie * gdinwiddie@...
        • Charlie Poole
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
            Hi George,

            > > Question: Should this have been permitted, on the basis of being an
            > > avowedly agile-focused product, or not?
            >
            > I don't mind product announcements, but this one is, in my
            > opinion, rather long on marketing-speak. I've got no idea
            > what "maps entities life-cycle to your business processes"
            > means. Between the fact that it lists features that aren't
            > described, and the weird formatting (in text mode, anyway), I
            > wouldn't be inclined to give it a second thought.
            >
            > I think a short, personal description of the itch the product
            > intends to scratch would be more appropriate to the list than
            > this sort of brochure-ware.

            I'm not a moderator, but if I were, I wouldn't want to exercise
            that level of decision-making in deciding what to let through.

            The list itself usually decides such things by failing to respond
            to items that are not of interest. :-)

            Charlie
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
              Hello, Charlie. On Friday, December 1, 2006, at 9:09:35 PM, you
              wrote:

              > I'm not a moderator, but if I were, I wouldn't want to exercise
              > that level of decision-making in deciding what to let through.

              > The list itself usually decides such things by failing to respond
              > to items that are not of interest. :-)

              You don't see some of the stuff that we're offered. Do you need any
              nice girls from Russia this week?

              Why pay now when we can pay later?
            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 2, 2006
                Charlie Poole wrote:
                >> I think a short, personal description of the itch the product
                >> intends to scratch would be more appropriate to the list than
                >> this sort of brochure-ware.
                >
                > I'm not a moderator, but if I were, I wouldn't want to exercise
                > that level of decision-making in deciding what to let through.
                >
                > The list itself usually decides such things by failing to respond
                > to items that are not of interest. :-)

                True. The link to agility is probably strong enough to allow the
                message. The tone of the message made me unaware of it until Ron raised
                the question. I'd skipped past it without noticing. :-)

                * George Dinwiddie * gdinwiddie@...