Re: [XP] ANN: TP 2.0 Release (Agile Project Management Sof

  • Michael Dubakov
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
      >The product struck me as apparently heavy, and not all that
      >well-described. I was cusped about it, gave it the benefit of the
      >doubt, but though I'd inquire what the People think ...

      I am really want to discuss about "heaviness" in TargetProcess. We've
      tried made it as simple as possible, and if we've failed somewhere we
      will improve for sure. For me "heaviness" is usage pain. How many
      clicks/actions developer or team lead should make to complete the
      goal? How much time the tool usage takes each day? On our opinion
      TargetProcess supplements usual XP tools like cards and white boards.
      Sho why it is heavy?

      Michael
      http://www.targetprocess.com

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hello, Michael. On Friday, December 1, 2006, at 5:24:20 AM, you
        wrote:

        >>The product struck me as apparently heavy, and not all that
        >>well-described. I was cusped about it, gave it the benefit of the
        >>doubt, but though I'd inquire what the People think ...

        > I am really want to discuss about "heaviness" in TargetProcess. We've
        > tried made it as simple as possible, and if we've failed somewhere we
        > will improve for sure. For me "heaviness" is usage pain. How many
        > clicks/actions developer or team lead should make to complete the
        > goal? How much time the tool usage takes each day? On our opinion
        > TargetProcess supplements usual XP tools like cards and white boards.
        > Sho why it is heavy?

        In my post, heaviness refers not to how easy the product is to use,
        but the kind of process it implements. In fact, a process that goes
        beyond cards and whiteboards is heavier than one that doesn't.

        I have not tried the product, so do not know in detail how heavy or
        light a process it evokes, but I notice that it has:

        A bug list -- not a good sign in my opinion ...
        Time tracking -- not the first Agile chart I'd draw ...
        Projects -- are these what XP would call stories? With ...
        Priority, Status, Effort, Progress, Time Spent, Time Remaining
        (Which, because the tool has them, are all likely to be used.)
        No less than 5 (five!) tabs of information for each project ...
        Customization -- which could be good, given how complex an
        approach it seems to handle ...
        The stars are all red, and I wanted some white and blue ones ...
        A "burn down" chart that I don't understand at all, with an
        apparent "effort" focus. Maybe that just means points or story
        size, I'm not sure ...
        An apparent focus on work assignment rather than dynamic work
        selection ...
        Bug Tracking with nine or a dozen columns of information ...
        Complex bug addition page -- really planning to have lots of
        defects I guess ...
        Bug event list -- so we can be all over those bug fixers ...
        Screenshot bug capture looks pretty cool, I must admit!
        "Dozen of features and patterns" -- seems a lot. (Did you mean
        "dozens", by the way? Or "many"?)
        Workflow -- ?
        Requirements info stored in the tool instead of in conversation
        and tests ...

        This quote is an example of what troubles me:

        What Should I Do Today?

        This is the top question for any developer. Some of us write tasks
        on cards, others keeps all tasks in mind, in email Inbox, some use
        various productivity tools. TargetProcess provides an integrated
        ToDo list for all assignments, including user stories, tasks and
        bugs.

        I don't see why it's really helpful, on an Agile team, to ...
        Have a computerized list at all ...
        Use a computer to keep track of what could be on the wall ...
        Record "all" "assignments" ...

        Big enough team, distributed enough, sure ... and those are the
        things John Roth was talking about that we are pushing against
        people doing at all.

        That's not to say that people don't do them, and don't need to do
        them. But will this product help people do what they should be
        fixing?

        Overall, it looks like a good-looking tool into which much work has
        gone. I don't see, for myself, how it is that it enhances the things
        I like to see Agile projects doing. I do imagine that if you can get
        people to try it, many of them will use it. I'm not sure that's a
        good thing, but I am known to be a fanatic.

        Thousands of years ago, the first man discovered how to make fire.
        He was probably burned at the stake he had taught his brothers to
        light - Howard Roark (The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand)
      • Michael Dubakov
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
          I see quite large gap between what we want to put into TargetProcess
          and your comments. Maybe it is our fault.

          > A bug list -- not a good sign in my opinion ...

          Do you really not have bugs in your projects? At least you should
          handle them like user stories. TargetProcess do exactly that.

          > Time tracking -- not the first Agile chart I'd draw ...

          Time Tracking can be switched off. And there will be no
          such columns as Time Spent, Time Remaining etc.
          We've tried to make TP flexible. If you don't need time tracking,
          turn it off and all time related parts will be removed from UI.

          > Projects -- are these what XP would call stories? With ...

          Projects are projects. Company may have many projects to work on
          and XP stories are represented by "user stories" in TP
          (inside exact project). TargetProcess is not a tool for only one
          project, it supports multiple projects as well.

          > Priority, Status, Effort, Progress, Time Spent, Time Remaining
          > (Which, because the tool has them, are all likely to be used.)

          Almost all of these columns calculated automatically except Priority
          and Effort (in points) which are set manually.
          You set Priority (Business Value) and Effort on cards in anyway!

          > A "burn down" chart that I don't understand at all, with an
          > apparent "effort" focus. Maybe that just means points or story
          > size, I'm not sure ...

          Burn down is natural, maybe we should put more info about it. Burn
          down measures remaining effort units (points or ideal hours, since
          different teams prefer different units).

          > An apparent focus on work assignment rather than dynamic work
          > selection ...

          Yes, that is maybe right. We will try to improve here.

          > Bug Tracking with nine or a dozen columns of information ...
          > Complex bug addition page -- really planning to have lots of
          > defects I guess ...

          You may use just one field - bug name. Other fields are optional
          and there are 7-9 fields in total. Is it really complex?
          Bugzilla has 25 fields!

          > Workflow -- ?

          Simple state management. For example, bug workflow may be different
          in different companies.

          > Requirements info stored in the tool instead of in conversation
          > and tests ...

          TP does not foce you to store requirements in the tool.
          You may do that, but may not. In fact tool implementation
          often is not about the tool, it is about the people.
          If project manager or team lead will be wise and know how to
          lead the team effectively, she will not burden the process,
          but will use the tool to increase efficiency. If not, no one
          can help.

          Michael
          http://www.targetprocess.com

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
            Hello, Michael. On Friday, December 1, 2006, at 7:23:27 AM, you
            wrote:

            > I see quite large gap between what we want to put into TargetProcess
            > and your comments. Maybe it is our fault.

            Or it could be mine. I believe that tools are more commonly an
            impediment to the interactions between individuals that, to me, are
            core to doing Agile (and especially what I think XP is).

            But as I tried to indicate before, your tool looks nice, and
            comprehensive. It appears to be well done, at least as far as one
            can tell from the screen shots.

            And I've not used it, so I couldn't possible know as much as you do.

            I do know this: Chet Hendrickson and I have been coaching Agile
            projects for nigh on to a decade now, and we program most every day
            when we're not on a gig. If we knew of a software product for
            guiding Agile projects, we would have built it by now. Chet puts it
            this way: We don't build a product because we can't think of a
            product we would actually recommend.

            I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way. -- Jessica Rabbit
          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
              Ron Jeffries wrote:
              > Hello, members. On Thursday, November 30, 2006, at 5:20:31 AM,
              > Michael wrote:
              >
              >> TargetProcess Company is pleased to announce the release of
              >> TargetProcess v.2 <http://www.targetprocess.com> , the next generation
              >> project management software
              >> product for agile projects.
              >
              > Question: Should this have been permitted, on the basis of being an
              > avowedly agile-focused product, or not?

              I don't mind product announcements, but this one is, in my opinion,
              rather long on marketing-speak. I've got no idea what "maps entities
              life-cycle to your business processes" means. Between the fact that it
              lists features that aren't described, and the weird formatting (in text
              mode, anyway), I wouldn't be inclined to give it a second thought.

              I think a short, personal description of the itch the product intends to
              scratch would be more appropriate to the list than this sort of
              brochure-ware.

              - George

              * George Dinwiddie * gdinwiddie@...
            • Charlie Poole
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                Hi George,

                > > Question: Should this have been permitted, on the basis of being an
                > > avowedly agile-focused product, or not?
                >
                > I don't mind product announcements, but this one is, in my
                > opinion, rather long on marketing-speak. I've got no idea
                > what "maps entities life-cycle to your business processes"
                > means. Between the fact that it lists features that aren't
                > described, and the weird formatting (in text mode, anyway), I
                > wouldn't be inclined to give it a second thought.
                >
                > I think a short, personal description of the itch the product
                > intends to scratch would be more appropriate to the list than
                > this sort of brochure-ware.

                I'm not a moderator, but if I were, I wouldn't want to exercise
                that level of decision-making in deciding what to let through.

                The list itself usually decides such things by failing to respond
                to items that are not of interest. :-)

                Charlie
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Hello, Charlie. On Friday, December 1, 2006, at 9:09:35 PM, you
                  wrote:

                  > I'm not a moderator, but if I were, I wouldn't want to exercise
                  > that level of decision-making in deciding what to let through.

                  > The list itself usually decides such things by failing to respond
                  > to items that are not of interest. :-)

                  You don't see some of the stuff that we're offered. Do you need any
                  nice girls from Russia this week?

                  Why pay now when we can pay later?
                • George Dinwiddie
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 2, 2006
                    Charlie Poole wrote:
                    >> I think a short, personal description of the itch the product
                    >> intends to scratch would be more appropriate to the list than
                    >> this sort of brochure-ware.
                    >
                    > I'm not a moderator, but if I were, I wouldn't want to exercise
                    > that level of decision-making in deciding what to let through.
                    >
                    > The list itself usually decides such things by failing to respond
                    > to items that are not of interest. :-)

                    True. The link to agility is probably strong enough to allow the
                    message. The tone of the message made me unaware of it until Ron raised
                    the question. I'd skipped past it without noticing. :-)

                    * George Dinwiddie * gdinwiddie@...