Re: [XP] What's up with Rails?

  • Shane Mingins
    Message 1 of 55 , Nov 29, 2006
      On 11/30/06, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:
      > If Rails had more true test-first in its core,
      > then your new tests cases would be easier to write first, too.

      Not quite sure what you mean by this .. could u expand/explain ... and
      in English ;-)

      What I found was that it was so easy to write some code and get the
      (manual) feedback that it was working ... and then I had to actually
      force myself to write the tests. Now I think some of this was because
      I was learning both Rails and Ruby as I was going so I did not know
      how to write the test first. One book that would be useful is TDD
      with Rails ;-) There was a discussion (I think on the JUnit group)
      where Joe Rainsberger was having difficulty applying his TDD approach
      from Java to Rails (I hope I have not misrepresented him on that ...
      Joe,plse correct me if I have).

      I have seen articles on how to test your Model in Rails without the
      database which is not the default behaviour for a Rails unit (as they
      call them) test.

      Cheers
      Shane
    • Kent Beck
      Message 55 of 55 , Jan 12, 2007
        Charlie,

        Having coined the phrase, I can speak with a fair amount of certainty that
        test-first has always been a part of TDD. When I first started writing tests
        first, I focused on that aspect. When I started writing the TDD book, I
        realized that what I did was really the combination of test-first and
        incremental design, and that either component technique could be used on its
        own.

        Regards,

        Kent Beck
        Three Rivers Institute