Re: [XP] Poll: Which language would you choose for a new web application project?

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2006
      anilscuba wrote:

      > I'm running a new poll on this web page and would appreciate your
      > votes:
      > http://visualpatterns.com/polls.jsp

      Ruby on Rails has 47%, folks!

      (And who on this newsgroup has been pitching Ruby since 2000? ;)

      --
      Phlip
    • David H
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 2006
        Phlip wrote:

        > anilscuba wrote:
        >
        >> I'm running a new poll on this web page and would appreciate your
        >> votes:
        >> http://visualpatterns.com/polls.jsp
        >
        > Ruby on Rails has 47%, folks!

        Which is good, I love it. Evenm if it is still a pain in the ass for
        large scale implementations :)

        -d
      • Shane Mingins
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 23, 2006
          On 11/24/06, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:
          > anilscuba wrote:
          >
          > > I'm running a new poll on this web page and would appreciate your
          > > votes:
          > > http://visualpatterns.com/polls.jsp
          >
          > Ruby on Rails has 47%, folks!
          >
          > (And who on this newsgroup has been pitching Ruby since 2000? ;)

          So why didn't you write Rails then! I had to wait 4 years ;-)

          But seriously, I wonder how many people would be voting for Ruby for
          web apps if Rails did not exist?

          Cheers
          Shane
        • Keith Ray
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 24, 2006
            I was very impressed with the screencasts of python / zope / Plone.
            <http://plone.org/about/movies>

            I would also consider Apple's WebObjects (Java) for commercial web-app
            development. <http://www.apple.com/webobjects/> Because it's very
            scalable, mature (it's the oldest webapp framework around, but still
            being revised and supported), and it allows fairly rapid development
            with good database integration. (Perhaps better than Ruby on Rails!)

            The Apple store is implemented with WebObjects, Disney uses it, and (I
            think) the back-end of iTunes music store.

            <http://www.apple.com/ca/webobjects/resources.html>

            --

            C. Keith Ray
          • Jim Cakalic
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 27, 2006
              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Mingins"
              <shane.mingins@...> wrote:

              > On 11/24/06, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:
              > > anilscuba wrote:
              > >
              > > > I'm running a new poll on this web page and would appreciate
              your
              > > > votes:
              > > > http://visualpatterns.com/polls.jsp
              > >
              > > Ruby on Rails has 47%, folks!
              > >
              > > (And who on this newsgroup has been pitching Ruby since 2000? ;)
              > >

              > But seriously, I wonder how many people would be voting for Ruby
              for
              > web apps if Rails did not exist?

              Right. Seems the poll question (which language) and the possible
              choices (only one of which includes a framework) are not sync'd very
              well. Where's Java+Struts, Java+Struts+Tiles+JDO, Java+Spring,
              Java+Spring+Hibernate, Java+Spring+Hibernate+Sitemesh,
              JavaScript+Java+DWR+Hibernate, etc., etc., etc.?

              Also, I'm curious how many people voting for Ruby would be Ruby
              veterans v. 1st time Ruby implementors eager to try the fruit punch
              (brand-specific drink name omitted). I include myself here btw.