Re: [XP] Re: X Marks the Test Case

  • Adrian Howard
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006
      On 2 Nov 2006, at 19:22, Ilja Preuss wrote:
      [snip]
      > Yes. We should never forget that there are problems in the world that
      > are better solved by *not* using a computer, even if we could.
      [snip]

      It's a really hard idea for some people to accept.

      I've had problems introducing index cards to some people when the
      argument has run something like "we develop software - what would it
      look like if we don't trust computers enough to help run our projects".

      Cheers,

      Adrian
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006
        Adrian Howard wrote:

        > I've had problems introducing index cards to some people when the
        > argument has run something like "we develop software - what would it
        > look like if we don't trust computers enough to help run our projects".

        "Remember that old myth of the Paperless Office? Did it work?

        "We pick the best technology for each aspect of development, and sometimes
        paper cards are best."

        --
        Phlip
      • Ilja Preuss
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 4, 2006
          > I've had problems introducing index cards to some people when the
          > argument has run something like "we develop software - what would it
          > look like if we don't trust computers enough to help run our projects".

          Yes, I've encountered that, too.

          Of course the answer is that it's not about trust, but about knowing
          your tools, including their limitations.

          What kinds of professionals are we if we blindly throw the same solution
          (=software) at every problem we encounter?

          Cheers, Ilja
        • Adrian Howard
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 5, 2006
            On 4 Nov 2006, at 12:35, Ilja Preuss wrote:

            >> I've had problems introducing index cards to some people when the
            >> argument has run something like "we develop software - what would it
            >> look like if we don't trust computers enough to help run our
            >> projects".
            >
            > Yes, I've encountered that, too.
            >
            > Of course the answer is that it's not about trust, but about knowing
            > your tools, including their limitations.
            >
            > What kinds of professionals are we if we blindly throw the same
            > solution
            > (=software) at every problem we encounter?

            The scary thing for me was that my reply of "aren't we in the
            business of giving the customer the best possible solution" was
            answered with "no - we're in the business of selling them software"...

            Adrian
          • Christophe Thibaut
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
              Hello Adrian,
              > The scary thing for me was that my reply of "aren't we in the
              > business of giving the customer the best possible solution" was
              > answered with "no - we're in the business of selling them software"...

              On the brochure they send to their customer and on their web site index
              page, does one reads

              "Our business is to sell you software"

              I wonder...
              Regards