Re: [XP] How often does your team rotate

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
      xp@... wrote:

      > So how often does your team rotate pairs ?

      The team I've been working with switches pairs at the end of a story.
      The problem is that some stories are short, such as fixing a defect, and
      others are long: 2 points is 2 pair-weeks for them. I am encouraging
      them to switch more frequently, but they don't seem to want to switch
      more frequently. I notice that I don't model the behavior as well as I
      should, and that contributes to their behavior.

      Take care.
      Your guide to software craftsmanship
    • William Wake
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2006
        On 11/2/06, J. B. Rainsberger <jbrains762@...> wrote:
        > The team I've been working with switches pairs at the end of a story.
        > The problem is that some stories are short, such as fixing a defect, and
        > others are long: 2 points is 2 pair-weeks for them.

        The other problem we had was that when pair A finished a story, pair B
        was still in the middle of theirs. That basically said it was never
        convenient to switch on story boundaries. (Same thing for task
        boundaries.) Plus this tended to drive some specialization I didn't
        like.

        We've tried various things; now it tends to be "switch daily, or maybe
        after lunch too." There's occasionally a bit more, as people go in and
        out or need help, but that's the usual rhythm we hit.

        --
        Bill Wake William.Wake@... www.xp123.com