Re: [XP] Re: Improving "Service Access" for better Agile programming

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2006
      Hello, Sammy. On Thursday, November 2, 2006, at 10:01:03 AM, you
      wrote:

      > Therefore, it is not as hard to read as
      > one might think when the term XML is used. Further, even if you do
      > encounter that monster method, it is no harder to read (or perhaps, not
      > significantly so) than the same monster method in another language.

      I produce my entire web site in XML. Much of my content consists of
      programs in various programming languages. I perceive a very
      significant difference in readability between the two.

      Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to
      accept what I can't and the incapacity to tell the difference. --Calvin and Hobbes
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2006
        wrote:

        > The way I see it, most of XP/Agile can be applied to any language.
        > There is nothing about an XML based language that says we cannot value
        > (to quote the Manifesto):

        > Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
        > Working software over comprehensive documentation
        > Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
        > Responding to change over following a plan

        > In fact, scanning the what is XP page on your site
        > (http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/whatisxp.htm), I am not seeing a
        > core practice that cannot be done. It is just up to us to do them.

        No doubt all of XP can be done in most any situation. I was -- and
        am -- asking Raju to relate his posting to our topic here, which to
        my way of thinking he was not doing.

        Testing quality into a program is like spinning straw into gold.
        -- George Cameron.
      • Sammy Larbi
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 3, 2006
          Hi Ron,

          Ron Jeffries wrote, On 11/2/2006 8:43 PM:
          > Hello, Sammy. On Thursday, November 2, 2006, at 10:01:03 AM, you
          > wrote:
          >

          >> Therefore, it is not as hard to read as
          >> one might think when the term XML is used. Further, even if you do
          >> encounter that monster method, it is no harder to read (or perhaps, not
          >> significantly so) than the same monster method in another language.
          >>

          > I produce my entire web site in XML. Much of my content consists of
          > programs in various programming languages. I perceive a very
          > significant difference in readability between the two.

          For me, the difference is not so striking, I guess. Though it is
          noticeable, given that I can develop a web application several times
          faster using it than most alternatives, I'll gladly accept what is for
          me, the minor inconvenience.

          -Sam