Re: Re: [XP] Re: X Marks the Test Case

  • Keith Ray
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
      > Yes. We should never forget that there are problems in the world that
      > are better solved by *not* using a computer, even if we could.

      A similar lesson is in many Terry Pratchett books, except that it's
      "magic" instead "computer".

      --

      C. Keith Ray
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
        Ron Jeffries wrote:

        > Hello, rob_hathaway74. On Thursday, November 2, 2006, at 8:06:45
        > AM, you wrote:
        >
        > >> This is so true. It's why some of us have all the focus on cards and
        > >> whiteboards and such physical artifacts. They're warm. Computer
        > >> stuff is cold.
        >
        > > Like the software we develop? ;-)
        >
        > I love developing software. But a hug from my wife is much warmer.

        How about a hug from...? Never mind. I know the answer.
        Your guide to software craftsmanship
      • Adrian Howard
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006
          On 2 Nov 2006, at 19:22, Ilja Preuss wrote:
          [snip]
          > Yes. We should never forget that there are problems in the world that
          > are better solved by *not* using a computer, even if we could.
          [snip]

          It's a really hard idea for some people to accept.

          I've had problems introducing index cards to some people when the
          argument has run something like "we develop software - what would it
          look like if we don't trust computers enough to help run our projects".

          Cheers,

          Adrian
        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006
            Adrian Howard wrote:

            > I've had problems introducing index cards to some people when the
            > argument has run something like "we develop software - what would it
            > look like if we don't trust computers enough to help run our projects".

            "Remember that old myth of the Paperless Office? Did it work?

            "We pick the best technology for each aspect of development, and sometimes
            paper cards are best."

            --
            Phlip
          • Ilja Preuss
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 4, 2006
              > I've had problems introducing index cards to some people when the
              > argument has run something like "we develop software - what would it
              > look like if we don't trust computers enough to help run our projects".

              Yes, I've encountered that, too.

              Of course the answer is that it's not about trust, but about knowing
              your tools, including their limitations.

              What kinds of professionals are we if we blindly throw the same solution
              (=software) at every problem we encounter?

              Cheers, Ilja
            • Adrian Howard
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2006
                On 4 Nov 2006, at 12:35, Ilja Preuss wrote:

                >> I've had problems introducing index cards to some people when the
                >> argument has run something like "we develop software - what would it
                >> look like if we don't trust computers enough to help run our
                >> projects".
                >
                > Yes, I've encountered that, too.
                >
                > Of course the answer is that it's not about trust, but about knowing
                > your tools, including their limitations.
                >
                > What kinds of professionals are we if we blindly throw the same
                > solution
                > (=software) at every problem we encounter?

                The scary thing for me was that my reply of "aren't we in the
                business of giving the customer the best possible solution" was
                answered with "no - we're in the business of selling them software"...

                Adrian
              • Christophe Thibaut
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                  Hello Adrian,
                  > The scary thing for me was that my reply of "aren't we in the
                  > business of giving the customer the best possible solution" was
                  > answered with "no - we're in the business of selling them software"...

                  On the brochure they send to their customer and on their web site index
                  page, does one reads

                  "Our business is to sell you software"

                  I wonder...
                  Regards