Re: X Marks the Test Case

  • Simon Jones
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
      Discovering Buzan's Mind Mapping is one of two major events in my
      career (the other being XP)

      Mind Mapping took me from a lazy, disenchanted failing student to a
      1st class degree in a few short months.

      Best advice however. Forgoe the software and stick to the coloured
      pens. The empathy created with a mind map that is hand crafted cannot
      be under estimated.

      I think back to all my peers, sweating and struggling with volumes of
      notes whilst I casually scanned my maps over coffee each morning. :)

      Happy days!

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
        Hello, Simon. On Thursday, November 2, 2006, at 4:26:20 AM, you
        wrote:

        > Forgoe the software and stick to the coloured pens. The empathy
        > created with a mind map that is hand crafted cannot be under
        > estimated.

        Yes, yes, oh God, yes, more yes more!

        This is so true. It's why some of us have all the focus on cards and
        whiteboards and such physical artifacts. They're warm. Computer
        stuff is cold.

        For me, XP ain't out there, it's in here. -- Bill Caputo
      • rob_hathaway74
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
          <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

          > Hello, Simon. On Thursday, November 2, 2006, at 4:26:20 AM, you
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Forgoe the software and stick to the coloured pens. The empathy
          > > created with a mind map that is hand crafted cannot be under
          > > estimated.
          >
          > Yes, yes, oh God, yes, more yes more!
          >
          > This is so true. It's why some of us have all the focus on cards and
          > whiteboards and such physical artifacts. They're warm. Computer
          > stuff is cold.

          Like the software we develop? ;-)

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
            Hello, rob_hathaway74. On Thursday, November 2, 2006, at 8:06:45
            AM, you wrote:

            >> This is so true. It's why some of us have all the focus on cards and
            >> whiteboards and such physical artifacts. They're warm. Computer
            >> stuff is cold.

            > Like the software we develop? ;-)

            I love developing software. But a hug from my wife is much warmer.

            Curiosity is more powerful than skepticism.
          • Ilja Preuss
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
              rob_hathaway74 schrieb:
              > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries
              > <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
              >> Hello, Simon. On Thursday, November 2, 2006, at 4:26:20 AM, you
              >> wrote:
              >>
              >>> Forgoe the software and stick to the coloured pens. The empathy
              >>> created with a mind map that is hand crafted cannot be under
              >>> estimated.
              >> Yes, yes, oh God, yes, more yes more!
              >>
              >> This is so true. It's why some of us have all the focus on cards and
              >> whiteboards and such physical artifacts. They're warm. Computer
              >> stuff is cold.
              >>

              > Like the software we develop? ;-)

              Yes. We should never forget that there are problems in the world that
              are better solved by *not* using a computer, even if we could.

              Cheers, Ilja
            • Keith Ray
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
                > Yes. We should never forget that there are problems in the world that
                > are better solved by *not* using a computer, even if we could.

                A similar lesson is in many Terry Pratchett books, except that it's
                "magic" instead "computer".

                --

                C. Keith Ray
              • J. B. Rainsberger
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
                  Ron Jeffries wrote:

                  > Hello, rob_hathaway74. On Thursday, November 2, 2006, at 8:06:45
                  > AM, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >> This is so true. It's why some of us have all the focus on cards and
                  > >> whiteboards and such physical artifacts. They're warm. Computer
                  > >> stuff is cold.
                  >
                  > > Like the software we develop? ;-)
                  >
                  > I love developing software. But a hug from my wife is much warmer.

                  How about a hug from...? Never mind. I know the answer.
                  Your guide to software craftsmanship
                • Adrian Howard
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006
                    On 2 Nov 2006, at 19:22, Ilja Preuss wrote:
                    [snip]
                    > Yes. We should never forget that there are problems in the world that
                    > are better solved by *not* using a computer, even if we could.
                    [snip]

                    It's a really hard idea for some people to accept.

                    I've had problems introducing index cards to some people when the
                    argument has run something like "we develop software - what would it
                    look like if we don't trust computers enough to help run our projects".

                    Cheers,

                    Adrian
                  • Phlip
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006
                      Adrian Howard wrote:

                      > I've had problems introducing index cards to some people when the
                      > argument has run something like "we develop software - what would it
                      > look like if we don't trust computers enough to help run our projects".

                      "Remember that old myth of the Paperless Office? Did it work?

                      "We pick the best technology for each aspect of development, and sometimes
                      paper cards are best."

                      --
                      Phlip
                    • Ilja Preuss
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 4, 2006
                        > I've had problems introducing index cards to some people when the
                        > argument has run something like "we develop software - what would it
                        > look like if we don't trust computers enough to help run our projects".

                        Yes, I've encountered that, too.

                        Of course the answer is that it's not about trust, but about knowing
                        your tools, including their limitations.

                        What kinds of professionals are we if we blindly throw the same solution
                        (=software) at every problem we encounter?

                        Cheers, Ilja
                      • Adrian Howard
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 5, 2006
                          On 4 Nov 2006, at 12:35, Ilja Preuss wrote:

                          >> I've had problems introducing index cards to some people when the
                          >> argument has run something like "we develop software - what would it
                          >> look like if we don't trust computers enough to help run our
                          >> projects".
                          >
                          > Yes, I've encountered that, too.
                          >
                          > Of course the answer is that it's not about trust, but about knowing
                          > your tools, including their limitations.
                          >
                          > What kinds of professionals are we if we blindly throw the same
                          > solution
                          > (=software) at every problem we encounter?

                          The scary thing for me was that my reply of "aren't we in the
                          business of giving the customer the best possible solution" was
                          answered with "no - we're in the business of selling them software"...

                          Adrian
                        • Christophe Thibaut
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                            Hello Adrian,
                            > The scary thing for me was that my reply of "aren't we in the
                            > business of giving the customer the best possible solution" was
                            > answered with "no - we're in the business of selling them software"...

                            On the brochure they send to their customer and on their web site index
                            page, does one reads

                            "Our business is to sell you software"

                            I wonder...
                            Regards