Re: [XP] Agile Presentation For Our New Owner

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2006
      Hi, Dan! It seems like a good presentation to me. Many thanks for
      putting the text in your blog; I'm not sure I would have gone to the
      trouble of starting up OpenOffice. I have a few specific comments below.

      Dan Bunea wrote:
      > The new company mainly does
      > web applications for very large clients, but uses mainly waterfall based
      > processes and as usual there are many problems.
      >
      > I have made a generic presentation about agile methodologies, staring from
      > the problems to agile solutions as iterations, TDD or self improving teams,
      > which I put at:
      > http://danbunea.blogspot.com/2006/10/agile-methodologies-presentation-from.html
      >
      > I would love to hear some feedback,

      Were I in your shoes, I'd try to be more specific about their actual
      problems in the first slide, for a couple of reasons. First, if they can
      see you've taken the time to understand their particular issues, they'll
      take your proposed solutions much more seriously. Second, very specific
      descriptions will increase emotional impact, focusing their attention.
      E.g.,

      * You arrive at the big day with nothing to show the client
      * The project looks good -- until it his production
      * You deliver just what they asked for, but it's not what they want
      * The six-month project: now in month 12

      If you can get them to shift uncomfortably in their seats because your
      descriptions sound a little too familiar, that's great. Make sure you
      shape the downstream material to address the worries you've raised, though.

      I'd also be inclined to include some answers to common objections. Since
      they're building apps for other people, the first big question I'd
      expect is, "Will our clients have to change?" The answer I use here is,
      "For the clients who want the greater involvement that agile methods
      encourage, you should welcome their participation. For those who aren't
      ready, you can make look externally like a waterfall project; it's just
      that the milestone deliveries will be better." Being able to say, "We'll
      be coming to that soon," can keep you from getting pulled too far afield
      with questions. I'm sure there are

      In the examples, I worry that there are only two iterations per release.
      I personally would use shorter iterations to better demonstrate feedback
      loops and increased information flow. I'd also use more descriptive,
      limited feature titles. The more something sounds like a category of
      work rather than a specific goal, the more I see people trying to sneak
      things into it.

      Perhaps for the sake of demonstrating flexibility you could split "Sales
      Lead Management" into two parts (basic and advanced?) and schedule them
      in different releases. That would spice up the narrative some, and I
      think people should learn early on that splitting is a vital operation.

      And one overall comment: if you're writing this for managers, you may
      want to make it more of a narrative generally. Managers are often
      people-focused, and often respond better to explanations framed in terms
      of people and their relationships. To see what I mean, pick up pretty
      much any popular business book. They don't just talk about the project
      manager and the client; they talk about Sally, the energetic,
      experienced veteran of a dozen high-profile projects, and Bob, the
      well-meaning but overworked client, who has a short fuse and a lot of
      people to make happy. The style doesn't do much for me, but I understand
      that it works well for the audience concerned.

      But generally I think you've done quite well, focusing on problems and
      solutions, with enough theory peeking in to show there's more depth. I
      think the quotes from other people are good too, as it shows that you
      aren't just making this up, and gives them places to look for more.

      Good luck with it!

      William