Re: Musings - Re: [XP] Forgive an indulgence... (3)

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2006
      Victor wrote:
      > Maybe it's just an issue of self discipline, or maybe there is also an opportunity for an entrepreneurial software application developer here? Maybe the innovation would not be all that involved.

      I think it's also a matter of feedback. Look at some forms of communication:

      - In person
      - Over the phone
      - By Letter
      - By Email
      - By IM

      - In Person - you walk up to someone. As soon as you make eye contact,
      you pretty much know if it is the person you expected. Exceptions occur
      for people who you haven't seen in a while, or people who you try to
      guess who they are and get wrong.

      - Over the phone - you call someone, and when they pick up, you either
      recognize the voice, or ask for the correct person. Exceptions occur
      when the voice on the other end /is/ who you are calling, but you don't
      realize it, or if you get the wrong number, or if the person on the
      other end just wants to string you along

      - By letter - You write the letter, and then must address the envelope
      and stick the letter in it. Exceptions occur when you have multiple
      letters and multiple envelopes, and stick the wrong letter in the wrong
      envelope.

      -By email - You get an email in, and hit reply. You don't have to fill
      out the To field, and you type your letter and hit send. Exceptions
      occur when the to field gets filled out improperly, or when one fails to
      see they are CCing "World".

      - By IM - The message pops up and you see the person's screen name.
      Exceptions occur when you guess at the person behind the screen name and
      get it wrong.

      In all of the above cases, mistakes are easy to make in the
      communication. For the most part, however, the damage is limited to the
      person you are speaking to.

      So, I think they speaks more to how powerful and far-reaching email can
      be more so than the failure of it as a communication mechanism per se.

      --
      Cory Foy
      http://www.cornetdesign.com