Re: [XP] "Agile Imposition is a Very Red Flag" - discuss

  • Dale Emery
    Message 1 of 86 , Oct 13, 2006
      Hi Kent, all,

      > I'm hoping Dale will jump in here, because he has a much
      > better handle on these issues than I do. I'm not very good at
      > staying "out of the sandbox", but I like the results when I
      > do.

      I'm not good at staying out of the sandbox either. But I've
      gotten better at getting out once I notice I'm in. That's progress.

      I'm focusing on a writing project right now, plus a few other
      weekend tasks, and I don't have much time left over to think
      about the topic at hand. If the thread still has legs after the
      weekend I may have more time to reply. In the meantime, here are
      a few pre-thought ideas that seem relevant.

      Managers, being obligated to serve organizational intentions, and
      being authorized to decide how to use the organization's
      resources to serve those intentions, get to decide what they will
      pay us for.

      We, being adults, get to decide what we will do for the money and
      other valuable things the organization provides for us, and get
      to decide what else we want in exchange for and in support of our
      services.

      We and managers always have the option to seek to renegotiate any
      of this.

      Given that we're all XPers to some degree, we always have the
      choice to interact with others, including managers, according to
      the values we espouse: simplicity, respect, courage,
      communication, and feedback.

      A big part of courage is remembering that my needs matter. A big
      part of respect is remembering that the other person's needs
      matter. If I can remember these values I have a chance of
      staying out of the sandbox, or of getting out gracefully.

      Does any of that seem to apply?

      Dale

      --
      Dale Emery, Consultant
      Web: http://www.dhemery.com
      Message 86 of 86 , Oct 24, 2006
        Patrick Donelan wrote:

        > > That idea sounds just stupid enough to work.

        > Just stupid enough but no stupider?

        I can't be sure about that, but it was an inside joke with Ryan.
        Your guide to software craftsmanship