RE: [XP] Ready to Scale

  • Arrowood, Paul (ELS-STL)
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
      Good lord that’s a lot to read, Dave Rooney (Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 7:02 AM) but I’ll do it! ☺

      >>>http://tinyurl.com/j627d
      >>>http://tinyurl.com/kugtg
      >>>http://www.possibility.com/Cpp/SoftDevOfficeLayout.html
      >>>There's a first nugget of the assimilation process. Why does it have
      >>>to move from the (really good) team room into cube land? Why can't
      >>>cube land be razed in order to create open workspaces?

      It totally can. I didn’t mean to mislead you. I was just saying we can’t stay cooped up in this little conference room forever. We have to plug back in, but it’d take some facility changes to effectively get the benefits that come with them.

      Re: Caves & Commons, I think I’ve seen this proposed and discussed many times already so I’m seeing a bit of a trend. Are you proposing all developer work stations sit “out on the floor” (commons), and then there are offices (caves) around, say, the perimeter (or wherever) that allow people to go “think”? The commons still have to provide some sense of 'personal' space right?

      I just cannot see us having PROJECT work areas AND separate personal work areas AND quite common area to go think. I kind of envision the project bull pen areas as being not too cramped, so people can still have places for the family photos and what have you. I guess sometimes they'd have to move desks if they began work on a different team (different bull pen). Thoughts?

      >>>Have some faith in yourself - you're willing to ask when you don't
      >>>know the answers, which is a big step for an ex-PM! :)

      Thanks my friend!

      Paul