Re: [XP] Re: We've got a target on our backs today, folks! (was Blog about Google and Agi

  • Dave Rooney
    Message 1 of 138 , Oct 1, 2006
      On 1-Oct-06, at 12:02 PM, DianaLarsen wrote:

      [snip]

      > Yes, where does this silver bullet idea come from? Who pushes it?
      >
      > After about 20 years in organizations watching useful processes and
      > techniques (Theory X/Y, STS Redesign, SMWT, QWL, TQM, TOC,* etc.)
      > arrive, turn into "management fads", be identified as "no silver
      > bullet" and fade from consciousness, I've yet to see one that had
      > proponents who characterized it as a silver bullet. Usually in the
      > beginning there's some excitement about the "new" way to increase
      > productivity and profits as those who've done it see its value. (BTW,
      > all of them that I've read/used have also included caveats about
      > conditions for successful adoption that go largely ignored.) And each
      > builds on the shoulders of the previous ones, even Agile. (see
      > definitions below)
      >
      > The genesis of silver bullet idea comes along from those who are
      > hungry for one, "Will this shiny new X make my life wonderful and
      > increase profits with minimal effort on my part and less change in my
      > organization? No? Aw, shucks! What a crock it must be!" Turns out this
      > wasn't a silver bullet after all, let's go look for the next one...
      >
      > I haven't seen snake oil salespersons promoting these methods. I've
      > seen experienced, well-intentioned consultants trying to help
      > companies adopt and make sense of them. Sometimes those
      > well-intentioned folks disagree among themselves too. AND, I've seen a
      > large audience ready and eager to buy the promises of snake oil and
      > silver bullets, whether or not that's what's for sale.

      Diana, I understand what you mean, but could your response be
      interpreted by someone as "The consultant blaming the customer"?

      Isn't that what some of the Agile backlash is focused upon?

      Dave Rooney
      Industrial XP Coach
      I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c, I n c.
      http://www.industriallogic.com
      http://www.industrialxp.org

    • Paul
      Message 138 of 138 , Oct 11, 2006
        On 10/3/06, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

        > On 10/3/06, Paul <paultsai@...> wrote:

        > > On 10/3/06, Simon Jones <simon@...> wrote:
        > > > I doubt the mobile operator I currently work with could afford the
        > > > luxuries outlined.

        > > Well I bet Google at its beginnings couldn't either.

        > You would lose that bet.

        Of course I would. I actually meant it in the matter that many people
        call it a "luxury" that they shouldn't have until they have the money
        (I get that all the time from bosses). In fact it is not a Luxury, its
        cirtical to their business.

        --
        Paul
        Email - paultsai@...