Re: [XP] Refactoring is the problem

    Message 1 of 91 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hello J., thank you for the thoughts quoted here. On Sunday, October
      1, 2006, at 8:59:37 AM, you wrote:

      > It bothers me because there is an implicit assumption that I am not
      > trying to do my best to help the team succeed, when that is precisely
      > why I did what I did. It's as though she would rather assume I was not
      > trying to help, and she should know better.

      > Now I realize that wasn't her conscious motivation at all, but I thought
      > I would share this, as it hit me pretty hard this morning. Since this
      > isn't her conscious motivation, I need to give her the benefit of the
      > doubt and assume she means something different next time.

      I recall a long time ago on the C3 project, I was pairing with one
      of the other team members, who was quite inexperienced with
      Smalltalk and objects. I was thinking that I'd show him a thing or
      two.

      As we paired, he would point out spelling errors or missing periods
      or the like. He was actually far more helpful than I thought. Then,
      at one point, I was doing something, and he said "Why are you doing
      that?"

      I paused, and thought about it. Then I saw it! I said, "You're
      right, we should do it another way," then changed direction.

      At the end of the session I thanked him for his help. "And I
      especially appreciate your asking me why I was doing that one thing.
      It really saved us. Well done."

      He replied, "I just wanted to know why you were doing that."

      It's easy to have a complicated idea. It's very very hard to have a simple idea.
      -- Carver Mead
    • Adrian Howard
      Message 91 of 91 , Oct 7, 2006
        On 6 Oct 2006, at 18:08, Ron Jeffries wrote:

        > Hello, adrianh quietstars. We email macros have been trying hard to
        > give Ron a more human on line appearance, a task whose magnitude we
        > frankly find daunting. We are glad to hear that we have at least
        > been able to amuse you, which is more than he has ever done.

        Now *that* made me laugh out loud.

        Adrian