Re: [XP] Refactoring is the problem

  • Dave Rooney
    Message 1 of 91 , Oct 1, 2006
      On 1-Oct-06, at 8:59 AM, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:

      > Ron Jeffries wrote:
      >
      >> An interesting question, which, in somewhat the spirit of Kent's
      >> excellent video about personal fears, I'll answer sincerely and at
      >> length. I'd sincerely like you to answer, if you can, why it /does/
      >> bother you.
      >
      > Another part of this surfaced this morning.
      >
      > It bothers me because there is an implicit assumption that I am not
      > trying to do my best to help the team succeed, when that is precisely
      > why I did what I did. It's as though she would rather assume I was not
      > trying to help, and she should know better.

      "Implicit assumption"? That sounds suspect to me, Joe. Is the
      assumption on her part or yours, i.e. are you perhaps assuming that
      she's thinking that way?

      Maybe we have to remember that we're telling people to unlearn many
      years of of practices that were drilled into them from their earliest
      programming experiences. Maybe that fact needs to be communicated.

      Of course, you're there and I'm not, so I could be completely wrong!

      In any event, good luck!

      Dave Rooney
      Industrial XP Coach
      I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c, I n c.
      http://www.industriallogic.com
      http://www.industrialxp.org

    • Adrian Howard
      Message 91 of 91 , Oct 7, 2006
        On 6 Oct 2006, at 18:08, Ron Jeffries wrote:

        > Hello, adrianh quietstars. We email macros have been trying hard to
        > give Ron a more human on line appearance, a task whose magnitude we
        > frankly find daunting. We are glad to hear that we have at least
        > been able to amuse you, which is more than he has ever done.

        Now *that* made me laugh out loud.

        Adrian