Refactoring is the problem

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 91 , Sep 27, 2006
      It was a simple change. Where we had one thing, we need a collection of
      things, so a Composite of sorts was the obvious implementation. We
      test-drove the Composite, then when we plugged it in, it didn't work. We
      tried to plug it in /here/, but that didn't work either. We tried to
      plug it in /there/, but it wouldn't fit. I wanted to test-drive a
      drop-in replacement algorithm, but that would take too long. The code
      simply won't flex enough to allow us to make the change.

      When we described this in the stand-up, someone decided to say, "Why
      don't you just /code/ it instead of doing all this refactoring?!" I have
      no mouth, but I must scream.

      I believe that refactoring uncovers design problems. I observe others
      acting as though they believe that refactoring /causes/ those design
      problems. When I observe this, I feel that by choosing to teach I am
      setting myself up for failure. My flight instinct kicks in. I don't want
      to abandon the many because of the behavior of the few, but that is what
      my heart is demanding of me.

      I don't know that I want to abandon being a consultant just yet.

      Any ideas?
      Your guide to software craftsmanship
    • Adrian Howard
      Message 91 of 91 , Oct 7, 2006
        On 6 Oct 2006, at 18:08, Ron Jeffries wrote:

        > Hello, adrianh quietstars. We email macros have been trying hard to
        > give Ron a more human on line appearance, a task whose magnitude we
        > frankly find daunting. We are glad to hear that we have at least
        > been able to amuse you, which is more than he has ever done.

        Now *that* made me laugh out loud.

        Adrian