Voluntary technical debt

  • Jim Shore
    Message 1 of 57 , Sep 12, 2006
      Hi, all,

      I've just written a blog entry I thought you might be interested in. In
      XP, we deliberately keep code quality as high as possible at all times.
      We know from experience that this leads to better results faster.

      I agree with this idea wholeheartedly. In fact, one of the most
      controversial sections of my upcoming book, _The Art of Agile
      Development_, is titled "No Bug Database." (The point there is that you
      should fix bugs when you find them. No surprise to XPers.)

      Yet in my recent blog entry, titled "Voluntary Technical Debt," I talk
      about a time recently when I deliberately let code quality slide. Not
      only that, I'm glad I did it. Read the story here:

      http://www.jamesshore.com/Blog/CardMeeting/Voluntary-Technical-Debt.html

      Cheers,
      Jim

      --
      James Shore -- Titanium IT -- Successful Software
      Recipient of 2005 Gordon Pask award for

      phone: 503-267-5490
      email: jshore@...
      web/blog: http://www.jamesshore.com
    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 57 of 57 , Oct 1, 2006
        Steve Bate schrieb:

        > It would be a bigger contradiction to insist on inflexible
        > rules for agile behavior. It seems there is a trend towards
        > a more adaptative and pragmatic perspective on some of these
        > "rules". I welcome this trend compared to the movement about
        > a year ago calling for XP oaths and "extreme stakes in the
        > ground". It appears to me that the community itself is
        > learning and adapting and I feel that's very positive
        > even if it's a bit less extreme.

        So are you implying that the "extreme stakes in the ground" didn't feel
        like learning and adapting to you?

        Curious, Ilja