Strange Email

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2006
      Sorry for the off topic post -

      After the first post I made in the Java vs .NET email thread, I received
      back a strange email from another list member, which said that the
      delivery failed (to my own email address), etc. It also contained an
      attachment named cornetdesign.com, my website, but also the name of an
      executable on a Windows system. Sure enough, it is some sort of program,
      though I didn't run it (and couldn't anyway - I'm on Linux).

      I spoke with the person who the email supposedly came from, and 1) the
      email address is no longer valid (he doesn't work there anymore), 2) he
      doesn't use the provider (it was Comcast,
      c-24-15-23-151.hsd1.il.comcast.net [24.15.23.151]) and 3) his laptop was
      offline when it was sent.

      Our guess is that someone on the list has a virus on their machine, so
      if you have comcast, you may want to run an ipconfig/ifconfig and see if
      that's your IP address. I'm guessing it was this list, because I didn't
      make a post to any other lists last night.

      Feel free to contact me off list at foyc at cornetdesign dot com if you
      need more info.

      Thanks!

      --
      Cory Foy