Re: [XP] Doing agile retrosepctives

  • pragmaticandy
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "June Kim" <juneaftn@...> wrote:

      > I have read Project Retrospectives a few years ago and have done
      > project retrospectives with dozens of teams. Do you think I can still
      > get some value from reading Agile Retrospectives?

      I am necessarily biased, as publisher, but here's my take on the Agile Retrospectives book:

      I see it as being more of a sequel, or expanding on the idea. Esther and Diana have put
      together a nice catalog of "consultant tricks" using index cards, sticky dots, whiteboards,
      etc., to help you run the retrospectives and get the most out of the team. Not everyone
      excels at self-reflection, and the activities they outline help draw out the shy people, help
      the group generate insights and perhaps realize the importance of events that may not
      have been obvious.

      Check out the table of contents and a few samples at pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/
      dlret (I remembered to put the link in this time :-).

      I hope you do indeed find it helpful.

      all the best,

      /\ndy
    • Joshua Kerievsky
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
        June Kim wrote:
        > To those who have read both Agile Retrospectives and Project Retrospectives:
        >
        > I have read Project Retrospectives a few years ago and have done
        > project retrospectives with dozens of teams. Do you think I can still
        > get some value from reading Agile Retrospectives? Is it for novices or
        > does it have some part for experienced people?

        I haven't read Agile Retrospectives yet. However, Diana and Esther both
        know Norm Kerth, author of Project Retrospectives, so I'd be surprised
        if there book said the same thing as Norm's. I think you'll find that
        they've gone further with the art and practice of retrospectives,
        particularly on agile projects.

        --
        best regards,
        jk

        ----
        I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c , I n c .
        Joshua Kerievsky
        Founder, Industrial XP Coach
        http://industriallogic.com
        http://industrialxp.org
        866-540-8336 (toll free)
        510-540-8336 (phone)
        Berkeley, California
      • DianaLarsen
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
          Gee Brandon,

          I don't think it sounds too much like an advertisemet at all. :-)

          Thanks,
          Diana

          Diana Larsen
          www.futureworksconsulting.com
          503-288-3550

          Now available: "Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great" by Esther Derby & Diana
          Larsen (Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2006)

          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Campbell" <brandonjc@...>