Re: [XP] Doing agile retrosepctives

  • June Kim
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1 4:49 PM
      To those who have read both Agile Retrospectives and Project Retrospectives:

      I have read Project Retrospectives a few years ago and have done
      project retrospectives with dozens of teams. Do you think I can still
      get some value from reading Agile Retrospectives? Is it for novices or
      does it have some part for experienced people?

      2006/8/1, Brandon Campbell <brandonjc@...>:
      > On 8/1/06, David H. <dmalloc@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > I hope I don't sound too much like an advertisement.
      > > >
      > > I would strongly recommend you first read:
      > >

      > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0932633447/sr=8-1/qid=1154418814/ref=sr_1_1/103-1795552-1948641?ie=UTF8
      > >
      > > Simply because this will explain the original spirit directly from the
      > > father of Retrospectives.
      > >
      > > -d
      > >

      > Thanks, I added to my Amazon Wish list. I still stand by my recomendation
      > about the usefulness of this book however.
      >
      > --
      > Brandon Campbell
      > http://www.acommonprogrammer.com/
      > http://www.squidoo.com/xp/

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • pragmaticandy
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2 9:54 AM
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "June Kim" <juneaftn@...> wrote:

        > I have read Project Retrospectives a few years ago and have done
        > project retrospectives with dozens of teams. Do you think I can still
        > get some value from reading Agile Retrospectives?

        I am necessarily biased, as publisher, but here's my take on the Agile Retrospectives book:

        I see it as being more of a sequel, or expanding on the idea. Esther and Diana have put
        together a nice catalog of "consultant tricks" using index cards, sticky dots, whiteboards,
        etc., to help you run the retrospectives and get the most out of the team. Not everyone
        excels at self-reflection, and the activities they outline help draw out the shy people, help
        the group generate insights and perhaps realize the importance of events that may not
        have been obvious.

        Check out the table of contents and a few samples at pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/
        dlret (I remembered to put the link in this time :-).

        I hope you do indeed find it helpful.

        all the best,

        /\ndy
      • Joshua Kerievsky
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2 11:38 AM
          June Kim wrote:
          > To those who have read both Agile Retrospectives and Project Retrospectives:
          >
          > I have read Project Retrospectives a few years ago and have done
          > project retrospectives with dozens of teams. Do you think I can still
          > get some value from reading Agile Retrospectives? Is it for novices or
          > does it have some part for experienced people?

          I haven't read Agile Retrospectives yet. However, Diana and Esther both
          know Norm Kerth, author of Project Retrospectives, so I'd be surprised
          if there book said the same thing as Norm's. I think you'll find that
          they've gone further with the art and practice of retrospectives,
          particularly on agile projects.

          --
          best regards,
          jk

          ----
          I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c , I n c .
          Joshua Kerievsky
          Founder, Industrial XP Coach
          http://industriallogic.com
          http://industrialxp.org
          866-540-8336 (toll free)
          510-540-8336 (phone)
          Berkeley, California
        • DianaLarsen
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3 5:31 PM
            Gee Brandon,

            I don't think it sounds too much like an advertisemet at all. :-)

            Thanks,
            Diana

            Diana Larsen
            www.futureworksconsulting.com
            503-288-3550

            Now available: "Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great" by Esther Derby & Diana
            Larsen (Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2006)

            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Campbell" <brandonjc@...>