RE: [XP] Peer "Mentoring"

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1 11:28 AM
      Greg,

      During our workshop at Agile 2006, someone asked Cynthia how to get someone
      to do something agile (I don't remember the details). She said, "Have you
      tried 'please'?" Applied to your situation, have you tried asking if you
      could please write a test now?

      This could be an opportunity to step back as a team and discuss your shared
      values and principles. What principles are the team committed to? How can
      you develop a shared vision which would allow you to work together with less
      friction?

      People sometimes need space and time to absorb ideas. Finding a balance
      between making progress and taking time to digest recent lessons requires
      flexibility on the part of team members. Saying, "I need to go write
      documentation," could just be a request for a little time.

      Cheers,

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

      _____