RE: [XP] Exponential People and Teams

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
      June,

      Thank you for sharing this idea. It sounds like your friend has found a very
      effective way to reflect on his experience. I can imagine being able to
      remember both technical and social moments while reprising a project in this
      way. For a company to fund "project codas" they would need to see the value
      of the exercise. Consolidating learning, leaner code, faster design, and
      greater confidence may well be worth the investment. This could be a
      valuable part of the rhythm of development.

      Regards,

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi,

        > A friend of mine is someone who grows exponentially. I always had
        > wanted to know why.

        I have a friend who has been doing software development in the
        embedded realtime environment for at least 20 years (maybe 30 years
        now if he hasn't retired). He didn't make coding or design mistakes.
        I don't know of any occurances of defects in his code & designs.

        That made him a very effective developer and mentor. He basically had
        a 'process' that he developed for himself where he was basically doing
        TDD (long before anyone called it that) and he kept a checklist of
        mistakes he had made in the past. He would then make sure he checked
        his work against the checklist and find his defects before passing the
        work to the next 'phase' of development.

        He also read everything he could get his hands on about software
        engineering & design engineering.

        Just another 'story' about an exceptional software developer.
      • Corey Haines
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
          Hi,

          One thing that I've noticed about "exponential" developers is that they
          focus on "how to program" rather than "what to program." That is, some
          people study technology (sql server, java, specific apis) while other people
          study programming (tdd, design, etc). Those in the later group tend to be
          more productive in the long run.

          -Corey

          On 8/1/06, mnbluesguy <tannen@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >

          > > A friend of mine is someone who grows exponentially. I always had
          > > wanted to know why.
          >
          > I have a friend who has been doing software development in the
          > embedded realtime environment for at least 20 years (maybe 30 years
          > now if he hasn't retired). He didn't make coding or design mistakes.
          > I don't know of any occurances of defects in his code & designs.
          >
          > That made him a very effective developer and mentor. He basically had
          > a 'process' that he developed for himself where he was basically doing
          > TDD (long before anyone called it that) and he kept a checklist of
          > mistakes he had made in the past. He would then make sure he checked
          > his work against the checklist and find his defects before passing the
          > work to the next 'phase' of development.
          >
          > He also read everything he could get his hands on about software
          > engineering & design engineering.
          >
          > Just another 'story' about an exceptional software developer.

        • Seyit Caglar Abbasoglu
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
            An exponential people is somewhat skeptical. Before she adopts a popular idea or technique she tries to understand and experience it deeply. Although she finds it beneficial, she never stops to search its weaknesses and find solutions for them(And finding a suitable solution do not stop her, since there might be a better one). That's how XP emerged i think.