RE: [XP] What do we need to start an XP project???

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 11:28 AM
      Eko,

      It would be nice if the whole organization could change quickly. As the new
      person on the team, though, you need time to build relationships. One way to
      start is to prove that you can do a good job of working in the existing
      style. Then you can use the credibility you gain to encourage changes. While
      you are getting started you can quietly try technical experiments to see how
      to write automated tests, refactor, and build the system automatically. You
      can also apply the planning practices for your own work.

      Sincerely yours,

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 4:04 PM
        (Hi Kent - it was nice to work with you at Agile 2006 - I sat in on the
        XP Geography session).

        That is my experience. I was hired with the expectation that I would
        contribute to the "process" by introducing new ideas including TDD and
        refactoring. But I was not given the buy-in from my manager and team
        mates until I had a couple of months under my belt where I was able to
        prove my value in the "old style".

        Now things are moving quicker here. It helps to practice what you
        preach, then show others how it works for you.