Re: [XP] Doing agile retrosepctives

  • David H.
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
      > I hope I don't sound too much like an advertisement.

      I would strongly recommend you first read:

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0932633447/sr=8-1/qid=1154418814/ref=sr_1_1/103-1795552-1948641?ie=UTF8

      Simply because this will explain the original spirit directly from the
      father of Retrospectives.

      -d

      benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
    • Brandon Campbell
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
        On 8/1/06, David H. <dmalloc@...> wrote:

        > > I hope I don't sound too much like an advertisement.
        > >
        > I would strongly recommend you first read:
        >

        > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0932633447/sr=8-1/qid=1154418814/ref=sr_1_1/103-1795552-1948641?ie=UTF8
        >
        > Simply because this will explain the original spirit directly from the
        > father of Retrospectives.
        >
        > -d

        Thanks, I added to my Amazon Wish list. I still stand by my recomendation
        about the usefulness of this book however.

        --
        Brandon Campbell
        http://www.acommonprogrammer.com/

      • June Kim
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
          To those who have read both Agile Retrospectives and Project Retrospectives:

          I have read Project Retrospectives a few years ago and have done
          project retrospectives with dozens of teams. Do you think I can still
          get some value from reading Agile Retrospectives? Is it for novices or
          does it have some part for experienced people?

          2006/8/1, Brandon Campbell <brandonjc@...>:
          > On 8/1/06, David H. <dmalloc@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > I hope I don't sound too much like an advertisement.
          > > >
          > > I would strongly recommend you first read:
          > >

          > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0932633447/sr=8-1/qid=1154418814/ref=sr_1_1/103-1795552-1948641?ie=UTF8
          > >
          > > Simply because this will explain the original spirit directly from the
          > > father of Retrospectives.
          > >
          > > -d
          > >

          > Thanks, I added to my Amazon Wish list. I still stand by my recomendation
          > about the usefulness of this book however.
          >
          > --
          > Brandon Campbell
          > http://www.acommonprogrammer.com/
          > http://www.squidoo.com/xp/

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • pragmaticandy
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "June Kim" <juneaftn@...> wrote:

            > I have read Project Retrospectives a few years ago and have done
            > project retrospectives with dozens of teams. Do you think I can still
            > get some value from reading Agile Retrospectives?

            I am necessarily biased, as publisher, but here's my take on the Agile Retrospectives book:

            I see it as being more of a sequel, or expanding on the idea. Esther and Diana have put
            together a nice catalog of "consultant tricks" using index cards, sticky dots, whiteboards,
            etc., to help you run the retrospectives and get the most out of the team. Not everyone
            excels at self-reflection, and the activities they outline help draw out the shy people, help
            the group generate insights and perhaps realize the importance of events that may not
            have been obvious.

            Check out the table of contents and a few samples at pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/
            dlret (I remembered to put the link in this time :-).

            I hope you do indeed find it helpful.

            all the best,

            /\ndy
          • Joshua Kerievsky
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
              June Kim wrote:
              > To those who have read both Agile Retrospectives and Project Retrospectives:
              >
              > I have read Project Retrospectives a few years ago and have done
              > project retrospectives with dozens of teams. Do you think I can still
              > get some value from reading Agile Retrospectives? Is it for novices or
              > does it have some part for experienced people?

              I haven't read Agile Retrospectives yet. However, Diana and Esther both
              know Norm Kerth, author of Project Retrospectives, so I'd be surprised
              if there book said the same thing as Norm's. I think you'll find that
              they've gone further with the art and practice of retrospectives,
              particularly on agile projects.

              --
              best regards,
              jk

              ----
              I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c , I n c .
              Joshua Kerievsky
              Founder, Industrial XP Coach
              http://industriallogic.com
              http://industrialxp.org
              866-540-8336 (toll free)
              510-540-8336 (phone)
              Berkeley, California
            • DianaLarsen
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                Gee Brandon,

                I don't think it sounds too much like an advertisemet at all. :-)

                Thanks,
                Diana

                Diana Larsen
                www.futureworksconsulting.com
                503-288-3550

                Now available: "Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great" by Esther Derby & Diana
                Larsen (Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2006)

                --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Campbell" <brandonjc@...>