Doing agile retrosepctives

  • pragmaticandy
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
      Hi folks,

      If you're interested in doing on-going, agile retrospectives, you might be interested in our
      new book, "Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great."

      Esther Derby and Diana Larsen drew on their experience at both facilitating retrospective
      meetings and teaching people how to better facilitate to come up with this new book.

      Norm Kerth called it "...a must read for anyone serious about making an Agile approach work,
      and then work better and better." Norm tends to know quite a bit in these matters :-)

      The table of contents and excerpts and all of that is available from our website (as is the
      book itself, in both paper and PDF forms), and of course you can always head down to your
      local Borders, Barnes and Noble, or other bookstore to give it a lookover.

      Thanks, and enjoy!

      /\ndy
    • William Pietri
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
        pragmaticandy wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        >
        > If you're interested in doing on-going, agile retrospectives, you might be interested in our
        > new book, "Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great." [...]
        > The table of contents and excerpts and all of that is available from our website (as is the
        > book itself, in both paper and PDF forms), and of course you can always head down to your
        > local Borders, Barnes and Noble, or other bookstore to give it a lookover.

        To save others the searching, here's the link:

        http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/dlret/index.html

        William
      • pragmaticandy
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "pragmaticandy" <andrew.hunt@...> wrote:
          >"Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great."

          Oops, hit send a wee bit early.

          The link to the book's home page is:

          pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/dlret

          Sorry about that!

          /\ndy
        • Brandon Campbell
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
            This is a great book about retrospectives. Those two have done a great job
            of putting together a resource both for teams trying to begin holding
            retrospectives, and those who are already doing them. It is a must have for
            any team trying to close the feedback loop.

            I hope I don't sound too much like an advertisement.

            --
            Brandon Campbell
            http://www.acommonprogrammer.com/

          • David H.
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
              > I hope I don't sound too much like an advertisement.

              I would strongly recommend you first read:

              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0932633447/sr=8-1/qid=1154418814/ref=sr_1_1/103-1795552-1948641?ie=UTF8

              Simply because this will explain the original spirit directly from the
              father of Retrospectives.

              -d

              benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
            • Brandon Campbell
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
                On 8/1/06, David H. <dmalloc@...> wrote:

                > > I hope I don't sound too much like an advertisement.
                > >
                > I would strongly recommend you first read:
                >

                > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0932633447/sr=8-1/qid=1154418814/ref=sr_1_1/103-1795552-1948641?ie=UTF8
                >
                > Simply because this will explain the original spirit directly from the
                > father of Retrospectives.
                >
                > -d

                Thanks, I added to my Amazon Wish list. I still stand by my recomendation
                about the usefulness of this book however.

                --
                Brandon Campbell
                http://www.acommonprogrammer.com/
                http://www.squidoo.com/xp/

              • June Kim
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
                  To those who have read both Agile Retrospectives and Project Retrospectives:

                  I have read Project Retrospectives a few years ago and have done
                  project retrospectives with dozens of teams. Do you think I can still
                  get some value from reading Agile Retrospectives? Is it for novices or
                  does it have some part for experienced people?

                  2006/8/1, Brandon Campbell <brandonjc@...>:
                  > On 8/1/06, David H. <dmalloc@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I hope I don't sound too much like an advertisement.
                  > > >
                  > > I would strongly recommend you first read:
                  > >

                  > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0932633447/sr=8-1/qid=1154418814/ref=sr_1_1/103-1795552-1948641?ie=UTF8
                  > >
                  > > Simply because this will explain the original spirit directly from the
                  > > father of Retrospectives.
                  > >
                  > > -d
                  > >

                  > Thanks, I added to my Amazon Wish list. I still stand by my recomendation
                  > about the usefulness of this book however.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Brandon Campbell
                  > http://www.acommonprogrammer.com/
                  > http://www.squidoo.com/xp/

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • pragmaticandy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
                    --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "June Kim" <juneaftn@...> wrote:

                    > I have read Project Retrospectives a few years ago and have done
                    > project retrospectives with dozens of teams. Do you think I can still
                    > get some value from reading Agile Retrospectives?

                    I am necessarily biased, as publisher, but here's my take on the Agile Retrospectives book:

                    I see it as being more of a sequel, or expanding on the idea. Esther and Diana have put
                    together a nice catalog of "consultant tricks" using index cards, sticky dots, whiteboards,
                    etc., to help you run the retrospectives and get the most out of the team. Not everyone
                    excels at self-reflection, and the activities they outline help draw out the shy people, help
                    the group generate insights and perhaps realize the importance of events that may not
                    have been obvious.

                    Check out the table of contents and a few samples at pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/
                    dlret (I remembered to put the link in this time :-).

                    I hope you do indeed find it helpful.

                    all the best,

                    /\ndy
                  • Joshua Kerievsky
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
                      June Kim wrote:
                      > To those who have read both Agile Retrospectives and Project Retrospectives:
                      >
                      > I have read Project Retrospectives a few years ago and have done
                      > project retrospectives with dozens of teams. Do you think I can still
                      > get some value from reading Agile Retrospectives? Is it for novices or
                      > does it have some part for experienced people?

                      I haven't read Agile Retrospectives yet. However, Diana and Esther both
                      know Norm Kerth, author of Project Retrospectives, so I'd be surprised
                      if there book said the same thing as Norm's. I think you'll find that
                      they've gone further with the art and practice of retrospectives,
                      particularly on agile projects.

                      --
                      best regards,
                      jk

                      ----
                      I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c , I n c .
                      Joshua Kerievsky
                      Founder, Industrial XP Coach
                      http://industriallogic.com
                      http://industrialxp.org
                      866-540-8336 (toll free)
                      510-540-8336 (phone)
                      Berkeley, California
                    • DianaLarsen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3, 2006
                        Gee Brandon,

                        I don't think it sounds too much like an advertisemet at all. :-)

                        Thanks,
                        Diana

                        Diana Larsen
                        www.futureworksconsulting.com
                        503-288-3550

                        Now available: "Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great" by Esther Derby & Diana
                        Larsen (Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2006)

                        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Campbell" <brandonjc@...>