Re: [XP] Program Manager?

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2006
      Hi, Pete. Your question is a good one.

      You'll generally get a better response if your mailing list questions
      are self-contained; it makes things much more convenient for reader. To
      aid in that, I've consolidated your two messages and your blog post:

      Pete Abilla wrote:

      > Is there a role for a Program Manager in an XP environment? [..]
      > Here's what I understand "Program Manager" to mean:
      >
      > Market Research
      > Product Definition and Design
      > Project Management
      > Evangelizing the Project
      > Product Marketing
      > Product Life-Cycle Management
      >
      > [from http://www.shmula.com/126/product-management%5d
      >
      > At Amazon, it was called Technical Program & Product Manager (TPPM).

      In my neck of the woods (SF Bay Area internet companies), these people
      are generally called "product managers". I think this is pretty much
      what an XP Customer does in a consumer-focused, product-oriented
      setting. However, the product managers I know rarely do every bit of
      this; instead, they do the key parts, delegating or outsourcing other
      parts. The good ones also add user testing to your list: it closes an
      important feedback loop that is too often left open.

      I also feel that XP teams should be relatively self-organizing, so
      traditional project management activities are a much smaller part of a
      product manager's life than at your normal company. For places that need
      a lot of status reporting, I am inclined to recommend a "tracker",
      someone relatively junior who takes the team's internal tracking
      artifacts (e.g., a wall of index cards) and produces pretty reports for
      managers unable or unwilling to visit the team directly.

      I hope that helps answer your question!

      William