Re: [XP] Agile 2.0

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 29 5:50 PM
      Hello Chris,

      Thanks for your email. On Saturday, July 29, 2006, at 8:28:45 PM,
      you wrote:

      > There are many other findings that can be mined out of this data, and I've
      > been playing with it for a while in Minitab. For anyone that does agile as
      > a business, this is very important stuff - it will give you insights into
      > what companies are really experiencing.

      Keep digging, please, Chris ... and let us know what you find!

      Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle.
      -- Bruce Lee
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 29 7:16 PM
        Ron Jeffries wrote:

        > The Scrum fantasy, for example, is that teams who set out to ship
        > software on a regular cycle will "self organize" to do a good job of
        > it. And whenever Jeff Sutherland or Ken Schwaber or another Scrum
        > expert is there, by golly they do.

        Thank you for taking a real stand on Scrum. I'm not sure I could have
        been so diplomatic.

        The other good news is Scrum hits Frequent Releases, so if the team at
        least self-organizes TDD then they have the Big Two.

        --
        Phlip
        http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 30 11:00 PM
          Marco Abis wrote:
          > Scott W. Ambler has published some very
          > interesting data related to a surveys done via Dr. Dobb's Journal.
          > Questions, raw data and summary can be found at
          > http://www.ambysoft.com/surveys/

          Does anybody have data length of iteration and length of release cycle?
          Those strike me as two key agile indicators and I'd love data on that.

          I recently heard of an organization adopting "agile methods" that
          planned to use three-month iterations, with the first iteration just for
          "infrastructure," which was all naturally invisible to the customer. And
          this was for a web site. I hope that's an outlier, but sometimes I have
          nightmares...

          William
        • Keith Ray
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 31 6:25 AM
            A year ago, I heard that major sw company with yearly releases was
            going to 3-month iterations (but still annual releases).

            --

            C. Keith Ray
          • Brandon Campbell
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 31 10:33 PM
              On 7/31/06, William Pietri <william@...> wrote:

              > Marco Abis wrote:
              > > Scott W. Ambler has published some very
              > > interesting data related to a surveys done via Dr. Dobb's Journal.
              > > Questions, raw data and summary can be found at
              > > http://www.ambysoft.com/surveys/
              > >

              > Does anybody have data length of iteration and length of release cycle?
              > Those strike me as two key agile indicators and I'd love data on that.
              >
              > I recently heard of an organization adopting "agile methods" that
              > planned to use three-month iterations, with the first iteration just for
              > "infrastructure," which was all naturally invisible to the customer. And
              > this was for a web site. I hope that's an outlier, but sometimes I have
              > nightmares...
              >
              > William

              William,

              If you are looking at actual datapoints. My company, CompuSoft Development,
              does 2 week iterations, and 3 month 'major releases'. We actually provide a
              release after every iteration, in the form of an automatic update. The
              'releases' are when we create a new CD, burn it and send it to our
              customers.

              --
              Brandon Campbell
              http://www.acommonprogrammer.com/