Exponential People and Teams

  • June Kim
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 25, 2006
      Hello,

      A friend of mine is someone who grows exponentially. I always had
      wanted to know why.

      Here is the secret. He's been doing developing softwares for about 10
      years. He did uncountable projects. Everytime he finishes one
      project(whether successfully or
      not -- like being cancelled), he does it again alone at home.

      What he does is not a simple copy of the project but a whole new write
      with the insights and lessons he got from the experience. If the
      project was for 10 people for 6 months, it usually takes him less than
      two weeks. He only implements the essence of the system again, in the
      way he wanted the previous project to go.

      For every single project he participated, he kept this rule. Whether
      the real project was a success or a failure, each and every single
      project became a fertilizer that boosted his growth.

      No wonder he grows exponentially. I think this exactly complies with
      the result we got from expertise researches for a couple of decades.

      I wonder what would happen if our aim were not just churning out many
      products sooner, but focused on our learning, and learning
      ability/speed. What would happen if the company's aim is learning?

      I am also interested to hear other examples of exponential people or
      teams around you(usually I find them among XP teams and projects). I
      am often suprised to realize that my expectation on the limit of human
      growth is always exceeded by these kind of people. The limit of
      improvement is the limit of imagination. Among many companies I helped
      with, I find one of the fundamental problems is lack of imagination.

      June

      ps. I'm at the Agile 2006!
    • Tim Dugan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 25, 2006
        Certainly, people with curiosity and a will to improve themselves are
        the ones who grow/development the most. But

        "Everytime he finishes one project [...] he does it again alone at
        home."

        ...would be asking a lot of people. Many employees have family lives or
        other responsibilities outside their jobs. If those are the types of
        people we want working for us, maybe we should allow for "growth
        activities" on the job.

        Tim Dugan, Technical Lead - RTDP/Airline
        PROS Revenue Management
        (713)335-7942, tdugan@... <mailto:tdugan@...>

        ________________________________

[...]

        The information contained in this email may be confidential and/or legally privileged. It has been sent for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you

      • David H.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 25, 2006
          >...would be asking a lot of people. Many employees have family lives
          or other responsibilities >outside their jobs. If those are the types
          of people we want working for us, maybe we should >allow for "growth
          activities" on the job.

          Of course we should! I would hope that any half ways educated and
          modernly structured HR Department plans and structures like that. We
          learn because we are motivated to explorer rewarding possibilties and
          modern companies have a responsibility to create those.

          -d
        • June Kim
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 25, 2006
            2006/7/25, Tim Dugan <tdugan@...>:

            > Certainly, people with curiosity and a will to improve themselves are
            > the ones who grow/development the most. But
            >

            > "Everytime he finishes one project [...] he does it again alone at
            > home."
            >

            > ...would be asking a lot of people. Many employees have family lives or
            > other responsibilities outside their jobs. If those are the types of
            > people we want working for us, maybe we should allow for "growth
            > activities" on the job.

            What I didn't say in the original post was he works on project
            basis(as a freelancer). Therefore, when one project is finished(or
            cancelled) there are usually one week to one month break(not working
            at all) before the next one comes.
          • Kent Beck
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
              June,

              Thank you for sharing this idea. It sounds like your friend has found a very
              effective way to reflect on his experience. I can imagine being able to
              remember both technical and social moments while reprising a project in this
              way. For a company to fund "project codas" they would need to see the value
              of the exercise. Consolidating learning, leaner code, faster design, and
              greater confidence may well be worth the investment. This could be a
              valuable part of the rhythm of development.

              Regards,

              Kent Beck
              Three Rivers Institute

              _____

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
                Hi,

                > A friend of mine is someone who grows exponentially. I always had
                > wanted to know why.

                I have a friend who has been doing software development in the
                embedded realtime environment for at least 20 years (maybe 30 years
                now if he hasn't retired). He didn't make coding or design mistakes.
                I don't know of any occurances of defects in his code & designs.

                That made him a very effective developer and mentor. He basically had
                a 'process' that he developed for himself where he was basically doing
                TDD (long before anyone called it that) and he kept a checklist of
                mistakes he had made in the past. He would then make sure he checked
                his work against the checklist and find his defects before passing the
                work to the next 'phase' of development.

                He also read everything he could get his hands on about software
                engineering & design engineering.

                Just another 'story' about an exceptional software developer.
              • Corey Haines
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Hi,

                  One thing that I've noticed about "exponential" developers is that they
                  focus on "how to program" rather than "what to program." That is, some
                  people study technology (sql server, java, specific apis) while other people
                  study programming (tdd, design, etc). Those in the later group tend to be
                  more productive in the long run.

                  -Corey

                  On 8/1/06, mnbluesguy <tannen@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >

                  > > A friend of mine is someone who grows exponentially. I always had
                  > > wanted to know why.
                  >
                  > I have a friend who has been doing software development in the
                  > embedded realtime environment for at least 20 years (maybe 30 years
                  > now if he hasn't retired). He didn't make coding or design mistakes.
                  > I don't know of any occurances of defects in his code & designs.
                  >
                  > That made him a very effective developer and mentor. He basically had
                  > a 'process' that he developed for himself where he was basically doing
                  > TDD (long before anyone called it that) and he kept a checklist of
                  > mistakes he had made in the past. He would then make sure he checked
                  > his work against the checklist and find his defects before passing the
                  > work to the next 'phase' of development.
                  >
                  > He also read everything he could get his hands on about software
                  > engineering & design engineering.
                  >
                  > Just another 'story' about an exceptional software developer.

                • Seyit Caglar Abbasoglu
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
                    An exponential people is somewhat skeptical. Before she adopts a popular idea or technique she tries to understand and experience it deeply. Although she finds it beneficial, she never stops to search its weaknesses and find solutions for them(And finding a suitable solution do not stop her, since there might be a better one). That's how XP emerged i think.