Trustworthy Transparency over Tiresome Traceability

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2006
      If there was an Agile CM Manifesto, then this statement should be part of it!

      Trustworthy Transparency *over* Tiresome Traceability

      Note that my position on traceability is more "lean" than "agile" I
      suspect. I base this on the XP & Scrum centric views that were
      expressed in the March 2004 YahooGroup discussion thread "Why
      Traceability? Can it be Agile?"
      <<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scrumdevelopment/message/2946>>
      I think the "tests over traceability" is probably a valid summary of
      of the XP/Scrum perspective from that thread.

      I think myself and David Anderson (www.agilemanagement.net) would
      probably say something more along the lines of "transparency over
      traceability." ...

      Interested parties can read more at:
      * <<http://blog.bradapp.net/2006/07/trustworthy-transparency-over-tiresome.html>>

      I particularly like Sam Guckenheimer's description of "trustworthy
      transparency" and "friction-free metrics" in his new book /Software
      Engineering with Microsoft Visual Studio Team System/ (see
      http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0321278720) as part of his
      "value-up" paradigm. I found this book to be suprisingly good
      (outstanding even), and not at all what I was expecting given the
      apparent tool/vendor-specific nature suggested by the title.

      --
      Brad Appleton <brad AT bradapp.net>
      & Software CM Patterns (http://www.scmpatterns.com/)